Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think Moods are influenced by recent work orders  (Read 1353 times)

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I think Moods are influenced by recent work orders
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

I told my Bowyer to make a wooden crossbow.

Immediately, as in ONE STEP after I put that order, he gets a Fey Mood, makes an Artifact Wooden Crossbow.

Im training him as an archer now.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think Moods are influenced by recent work orders
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:37:00 am »

Ehh - what would you have him do? He's a Bowyer, his top skill is crossbowmaking, so of course he's going to make a crossbow. He just happened to pick wood, which is every bit as likely a choice as any of the other available materials. I don't buy that it's influenced by work orders.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

The fact that he got the mood a split second after I said "go make a wooden crossbow".

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

Hey, kids! Today's secret word is coincidence.

Ok, so you've had one mood which happened to produce the very item you'd just ordered. I've had hundreds of moods which produced items which I'd never ordered at any point, or cannot be ordered at all. I mean, yeah, it's cool that you had this happened but I'm pretty sure it's not indicative of how the game actually works.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

Although we may never know. They say all who look at the source code directly black out, only to awake days later in their bedroom with an artifact floodgate made from some fence-post boards and a boulder they found in a park. In fact, the first person to see the source was already in a mood, producing the source.

What I say about this: Probably just luck. It was made with wood because of the materials that can be used to make a crossbow, wood is the closest because they were making a wooden crossbow anyway.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Muffy St. Bernard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dangermuff.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

I've heard that the source code menaces with spikes of white chalcedony.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

Fool! The source code menaces with pointers!
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

Engraved on the source is a masterfully worked image of Cure for Cancer in Classes. The Cure for Cancer is surrounded by patients. The patients are being cured.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Markusw7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

My weaponsmith got into a modd and he hadn't done a days work in my fortress because i had a more qualified dwarf

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

There's a possibility, but I'd need way more evidence to support it.

I hadn't made any grates in a long time, but I'd been building and dismantling wall and floor grates for a while, working on my waterfall.  A fisherdwarf then got a strange mood and made an artifact grate.

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:53:00 am »

My most recent mood went to one of my starting seven. I bought up armorsmithing skill for him with my starting points, then made him a hauler until I could get magma forging up and running. Before he could actually do a single smithing job of any kind, he wound up outside during an ambush and got his left arm mangled by goblins. He's been resting that wound for several in-game years.

Abruptly, this guy hauls himself out of bed, broken arm and all, and seizes a forge to make a gauntlet out of iron and goblin bone. Then he goes back to rest the wound some more, dreaming of all the things he's going to make with his new Legendary Armorer skill as soon as he's healed. He has still done zero smithing jobs, with the exception of the fey mood.