Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.42.01] Just got my first long-term non-Dwarf soldier!  (Read 2616 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
[0.42.01] Just got my first long-term non-Dwarf soldier!
« on: December 04, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »

All of the new changes to Fortress life are pretty impressive in and of themselves -- I'm having a ball playing around with the taverns and temples, and I can't wait to get a library set up to make sure my Dwarves stay literate. The modern written word is what separates us from scratch-on-the-walls goblins and cave-men, after all!

But what really impressed me is what happened just now. A human, crossbow in hand, showed up at my humble fort-under-construction, and actually petitioned me to let him join my fort as a member of the community.

I was dumbstruck. I know Toady said this would happen in his release notes, but DAMN. I now have a full-blooded 'umie archer mercenary to fill out my fledgling military! I can only assume that he will also do other tasks around the fort, if I but ask him to. This is amazing! Now we can actually have cosmopolitan fortresses with joint-race militaries! Thank you, O Toady One the Great!

(Of course, I have no idea if I'll actually have to pay this chap coins or something at some point to keep him around. He didn't ask for any when he petitioned me to let him join, though.)

austinwelser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.42.01] Just got my first long-term non-Dwarf soldier!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 05:51:17 pm »

Amazing as this is I'm still going to atom smash those damned hippies.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 05:56:35 pm »

If you make enough beds you can get a whole squad! I named my 6 humans, Expendables 1-6. The only downside is they have to be led by a dwarf, so they aren't too expendable.
I also don't think you can enable any labors on them, meaning I also invited a bunch of bards to my fortress for no reason. At least the mercenaries can help hold the undead hordes at bay.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 06:01:39 pm »

Sadly non-dwarves, while content to occasionally haul some stuff around, don't seem to be able to be assigned anything other than what they joined your fort as. It is kind of awesome though. I had a squad in my last fort that was 50% human mercenaries, and they kicked butt. They also trained my dwarves to be better at butt-kicking! It was great.

EDIT: Bards are great to have because they keep people happy and end up causing more people to come and ask to join. Win win!
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »

Has anyone played long enough to be able to breed your outsiders?
I guess all of these volunteers aren't just males.
Theoretically they could give birth to offspring.
If so, are you able to control the second generation as if they were normal dwarfs in your fort?

benevolentNuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 07:20:26 pm »

I don't think visitors petitioning to join your fort as mercenaries or entertainers is the same thing as them actually joining as citizens. I haven't gotten any new citizens yet, but hopefully they can be assigned labors.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 07:24:38 pm »

Yeah, it's important to note that joining your fort is a two-step process: First they become long-term residents, then some time later they petition to be upgraded to full citizens. I haven't had a fort run long enough for the latter to happen yet, but I'm thinking you'll be able to enable labors at that point.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »

I would say that breeding is possible as an idea, because I had a human husband and wife join my fort not too long ago (totally didn't notice until after, too). One of my mercs who showed up later was married to a bard I hired earlier, so it's possible they could have a baby at some point. They share the same room too.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 08:50:49 pm »

You should throw some food and drink in there and lock them in there for a year.

For science.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:04:50 pm »

Sadly I can't because that fort died to constant crashing. But I may set up a breeding room if I can get another pair.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 12:23:41 am »

At least now, we actually have a use for all those Large-sized weapons and armor that your Dwarves could never use, and you always had to either melt down for materials or trade to merchant caravans. That is, if small- and large-sized items are still a thing. I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in forever.

I can't wait to read the rush of stories that are undoubtedly gonna pop out from this release, though. ^^

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 12:50:32 am »

I have a husband poet and wife pikeman in my current fort. I was thinking of having her kill him to see what effects if any it would have on her loyalty, but I suppose that can wait until after the breeding experiment. Only the wife is a member/long term resident of the fortress however, and I am unsure how that will affect things. If they survive the necromancers and far more frequent sieges, I will update in the future on their status.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.