Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why aren't they surviving worldgen?  (Read 758 times)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
Why aren't they surviving worldgen?
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:57:32 pm »

I've been playing small region-type worlds since 40.x to compensate for world activation slowing things down, and I never had a problem getting all five races to survive worldgen before. However, in seven out of ten of my worldgen attempts in 42.02, either the elves or humans are gone by the year 300. Kind of inconvenient if I want to trade for something my home civ doesn't have... (or, you know, have !!FUN!! with the treehuggers.)

Is anyone else noticing this? Any idea why it's happening, or am I just unlucky? Mod-wise, I just use Modest Mod, Expanded Glazes and a bunch of new plants and furniture-making reactions, so it's not like goblins are any stronger than usual. In fact, I tweaked them to have a MAXAGE same as the dwarves', to try and curb their spread a little.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why aren't they surviving worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »

Small/pocket worlds with few civs tend to lose at least one or two races along the way. I may be hallucinating, but the new version's wars seem to be a lot more vicious, with a lot more sites being razed often than before. If you want to keep the world stable, try to gen at least a medium-sized one.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 11:11:22 pm »

As I recall, medium and bigger worlds took a significant FPS hit in the 40.x versions. Is that still the case in 42.x?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:54:59 am »

are you going with an island or a region?
I've noticed that small island worlds bring everyone closer together earlier on and often times I'll have a race completely wiped out after a few hundred years. Try making a region world, I suspect the mountains and lakes may have something to do with limiting the contact early on and allowing them to survive longer.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 11:27:20 am »

In pocket worlds everyone can reach everyone, so conflict is common.
If you have megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, and titans, they will of course do what they do best.
If you have demons, they will lead goblin civs, to great effect.  If you permit civs to have more than 10 sites, goblins will often overrun the world.
To counter that, you can increase the number of civs, but lower the number of sites.  Increasing the number of sites and lowering the number of civs will also work, it'll just make goblins stupidly powerful and high population.
I've found that a world without goblins runs incredibly fast, compared to one without.  It may be that the background simulation takes quite a lot of processing.

These days, I ask myself why I want the other civs?  Is it for trading, or some other interaction?

In fortress mode, your interaction with other civs is limited to caravans, sieges, skulkers/thieves/kidnappers, and liaisons.  If the goal is danger, you can remove goblins entirely, and crank up the megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, and titans.  However, this will lead to civ death in a big way.
Necromancers provide more danger, and don't remove civs (or at least, not as much), and are hard NOT to get, in the right kind of worldgen.
Similarly, removing all the megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, and titans, necromancers, vampires, werecreatures, etc, and just having goblins will lead to massive sieges very quickly provided you hit the pop cap of 80 within a few years.
If you don't want to wait that long, you can set the megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, and titans trigger to 7, and get them attacking in the first year.
Worlds with a tremendous number of unique underground regions will have a tremendous number of forgotten beasts, which, barring all other kinds of fun, are always present, even if you remove demons, goblins, and everything else 'dangerous' as vanilla dwarves require at least one cavern layer.

Finally, more often than not, these days two things happen early in worldgen. The first fort is overtaken by a megabeast, semi-megabeast, titan, or forgotten beast, and the second is most forts are, for lack of a better phrase, not purely dwarven.  They often have everything from gorlaks to raven men to humans, goblins, and elves in them, and often MORE of them than dwarves, in some fortresses.