Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The new trader thing  (Read 726 times)

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The new trader thing
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:21:00 am »

Just venting here. I'm sorry- I love the new edition but the new trader counter offer thing has got to go. It is such a bitch having to go all the way back through the list of 100+ items to find the one large sardonix or whatever I don't want to trade, just to trade the things I DO want to trade. Also they seem to ask for waaay to much crap for their 3 wooden barrels. It's like they expect to walk away with 1000 profit for them. Maybe if we could refuse the counter offer and set our own...

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The new trader thing
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

Whenever they make a counter offer I simply select more of their stuff to take.  I generally only bring things to the depot that I wouldn't mind trading, so it's never been a big problem.  Goblets and narrow clothing is how my fort survives.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

"It doesn't work perfectly, get rid of it" isn't especially constructive, but I'll concede it would be nice if, say, the counteroffer items were moved to the top of the list or even had their own screen where you could say 'yes, no, no, no, no, oh alright'.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:36:00 am »

It is an annoying "feature" and I would prefer if it was removed, as well. If they just said no to the trade and then you could select more items yourself to sweeten the deal, that would be preferable to deselecting the ones it added automatically and then adding more items yourself. I don't mind keeping it as an option, or allowing you to adjust the counteroffer, or moving the additional items to the top of the list, or colouring them a different colour, or...

The feature as it is could do with being removed, however. Or changed, to suit those who actually find the feature useful.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 03:49:00 am »

What bugs me about counteroffers is the obscene profit they demand.  You can often negotiate them down to about half the profit they'd have made on their offer.  Unfortunately, unless I have a chasm, I need the greedy bastards for waste disposal.  So I can't just seize their goods or execute them.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>What bugs me about counteroffers is the obscene profit they demand</STRONG>
Ditto. I got into a bit of an argument with the humans over the profit they'd take back for all the leather, cloth and meat I wanted. I was hoping to get them to go for around 250, but when I tried they gave a counter-offer which would give them 1600 profit. I gave a few more offers and they gave a few more counter-offers. I eventually got them to sod off with ~650 profit, but they wanted as much as 2250 profit with their final counter-offer. Greedy bastards.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

Actually, I find that they're usually after something specific.  At times I've had too much loot, taken off the counteroffer, and added more stuff so that they would actually be making MORE profit- they still turned it down.  Turns out what they were really after was my iron and steel items.  I took a few off and let them have the steel flask and they went away happy.  Prsumably at this stage they can only add stuff with counteroffers, not say "no interest in the crown, we want the chainmail instead".  Maybe if you don't like getting fleeced you can let them have a couple of the items on the counteroffer list and take off stuff from the first bid to keep their profits from soaring.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast