Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Loving the new version  (Read 2010 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Loving the new version
« on: December 07, 2015, 07:37:15 am »

Just wanted to give a kudos to toady on this new version -- I'm really enjoying the added complexity and richness.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Loving the new version
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 07:47:17 am »

Yeah, it's an early Christmas present :D
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:01:31 am »

+1  :)
Peace has never been so entertaining before.
Also: "A dwarf, an elf and a goblin walk into a bar. ... it's not a joke, - it's DWARF FORTRESS 42!!"  :D

(The era of endless 'goblinite' may have passed, but perhaps it's time for a little co-existence in our real world gone mad.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:04:54 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:06:36 am »

Peace has never been so entertaining before.
Previously, when things were this peaceful, I'd be forced to embark on a !!science!! project to make up for the lack of !!fun!!

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »

This release rocks. There are bugs to work out, of course, but overall it's a pretty solid update.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »

it's DWARF FORTRESS 42
I like this name better than DF2016. The Hitchhiker reference seems especially apt with all the moochers sneaking into my fort to chug pangalactic gargleblasters and die vomiting in my booze stockpile.

Plus, pressed plant-slurry sheets are sort of like towels, if you squint.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 12:45:24 pm »

I was really really really hoping for more sieges.  Honestly, they are such a big part of the fun of this game - was the "path" system really necessary?   I dont need *that* much realism :/

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 02:00:58 pm »

I was really really really hoping for more sieges.  Honestly, they are such a big part of the fun of this game - was the "path" system really necessary?   I dont need *that* much realism :/

I think it is necessary in the long term if we want our fortresses to interact with the outside world in a meaningful way.  They say that when DF is complete it will contain every type of game ever made.  I for one, can't wait to do an EU4 style world conquest in DF.  The path system paves the way for that and other options like expanded trade. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:02:33 pm by Iamblichus »

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 03:39:45 pm »

I think it is necessary in the long term if we want our fortresses to interact with the outside world in a meaningful way.  They say that when DF is complete it will contain every type of game ever made.  I for one, can't wait to do an EU4 style world conquest in DF.  The path system paves the way for that and other options like expanded trade.

No doubt it'll be cool in the long run, but for now it'd sure be nice if DF had an option to enable "guaranteed goblin attacks" for an embark based on your fortress size, regardless of goblin civ status and army pathing issues.  Mostly because as it stands right now there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to determine beforehand whether a given embark will see goblin activity or not.  So maybe a temporary option in the name of fun while we're waiting for the rest of the world activation features to be finished?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »

Pathing issues should be fixed now. For almost, probably, guaranteed goblins just park yourself near an active dark fortress with a high population. You're bound to be attacked within a year of reaching population 80. And if that's too long just reduce it to 50 or 20. Magically generated sieges aren't going to happen. For that just use Fortress Defence for a pre .40 version. Everything's still available to download, you're not tied to using this version.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 09:30:00 pm »

I've receive sieges fairly quickly in this version after I passed the requirements for them. Standard siege strength progression as normal. One squad of mixed goblin fighters for the first invasion. Next one was two squads. The third was a good army with cave dragons, elk birds, and whatever.

I'm really excited to get my library up and running. I would love to become a cradle of knowledge in my world with hundreds of books in a grand library. I haven't even had the chance to receive monster hunters yet for the caverns.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:32:51 pm by Codyo »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:53:06 pm »

I don't know if legends viewer has been updated/still works (amazingly fun utility), but it was easy to find max population goblin sites (1500 residents) with. Settling down directly next to one should be a guaranteed way to gain frequent goblinite deposits.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 10:19:06 pm »

Legends Viewer seems to work OK. At least, well enough to survey the land, construct a good story and find some active goblins.

Haven't tried searching for a library yet, presumably doesn't work well.