Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From the Depths Bay 12 Campaign?  (Read 1839 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
From the Depths Bay 12 Campaign?
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:47:01 pm »

Heya. Would anyone be interested in building a bay 12 campaign for From the Depths?

Edit: If so, how many factions should we have? And what kind of ships should they use?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:50:50 pm by moghopper »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths Bay 12 Campaign?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 02:38:49 pm »

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about playing one of the campaigns, and I was going to point out that lua doesn't really work properly in multiplayer and you kind of need it for submarines and stuff. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 04:30:19 pm »

You can make a basic sub or aircraft that doesn't use lua.  Just use two automated control blocks to keep the vehicle at the depth you want them at.

Is it hard to make a campaign in this game?  Sounds like a lot of work.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 04:39:02 pm »

You can make a basic sub or aircraft that doesn't use lua.  Just use two automated control blocks to keep the vehicle at the depth you want them at.

Is it hard to make a campaign in this game?  Sounds like a lot of work.

It probably is a lot of work.

Success would depend on how many wanted to contribute.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 05:36:21 pm »

It kind of goes without saying that the factions would probably be Dwarf Fortress themed, and the campaign would be called Boatmurdered.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 07:47:50 pm »

It kind of goes without saying that the factions would probably be Dwarf Fortress themed.

How would you even do that? I could see making elephant-themed vehicles, though.

The ai ignored my propellors, by which I mean no-phys spinners with blades on them for propulsion and maneuvering and so forth.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:18:36 pm »

It kind of goes without saying that the factions would probably be Dwarf Fortress themed.

How would you even do that? I could see making elephant-themed vehicles, though.

The ai ignored my propellors, by which I mean no-phys spinners with blades on them for propulsion and maneuvering and so forth.

Spinners need Automated control blocks for that.

Also, if people ARE interested in making a campaign, we should get an idea of who wants to contribute, and what theme we should go with (Ie DF, modern, age of sail, etc..)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:20:10 pm by moghopper »

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 08:54:46 pm »

Using dediblades for ship propulsion is kind of tricky.  I made a ship like that once; it was fast, but it also liked to launch into orbit after the slightest bump.  I'm pretty sure it can be done without lua, though.  It's easier to just use the huge propeller for propulsion.

As for Dwarf Fortress themed factions:  I was thinking along the lines of what kind of vehicles the races of Dwarf Fortress -- dwarves, goblins, elves, etc. -- would make if they had access to the tech in From The Depths.

Anyway, I might submit some ships for this.  Keep in mind that making and maintaining a campaign is probably a pain in the ass, and it's better to keep it small.  FtD gets updated frequently, and custom campaign devs have to update all their ships every time a major change is made.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 11:03:16 am »

Some ideas:

We could mainly give everyone simpler stuff. Like, age of sail stuff, but themed. So no shields or missiles for instance. Possibly no cram our advanced cannons, or plasma. Or different races might have developed different weapons - say the kobolds like ramming and fast ships, the goblins have advanced cannons or CRAM, the dwarves have heavy armor and/or layered armor and bulkheads, with simple one-block cannons and autocannons, elves have wooden ships which look like giant floating logs with frickin' lasers.

Elves probably use RTGs and everyone else uses fuel. Maybe dwarves would too but I'm unsure.

Theme-wise, dwarves could conceivably build ships out of whatever materials, elves might only use wood (it's been a few years so I don't recall). I mentioned the idea of having elves' ships look like logs, they could also do tree-like ships with green glass, although I'm not sure how that would work, physics-wise. Goblins could have harsh spiky ships made of metal (green?). Kobolds get simple wooden stuff, painted black?

Anyone else got any ideas? We could start by just making ships and faction color schemes.

Of course this all sounds like a lot of work.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 09:05:25 pm »

Some ideas:

We could mainly give everyone simpler stuff. Like, age of sail stuff, but themed. So no shields or missiles for instance. Possibly no cram our advanced cannons, or plasma. Or different races might have developed different weapons - say the kobolds like ramming and fast ships, the goblins have advanced cannons or CRAM, the dwarves have heavy armor and/or layered armor and bulkheads, with simple one-block cannons and autocannons, elves have wooden ships which look like giant floating logs with frickin' lasers.

Elves probably use RTGs and everyone else uses fuel. Maybe dwarves would too but I'm unsure.

Theme-wise, dwarves could conceivably build ships out of whatever materials, elves might only use wood (it's been a few years so I don't recall). I mentioned the idea of having elves' ships look like logs, they could also do tree-like ships with green glass, although I'm not sure how that would work, physics-wise. Goblins could have harsh spiky ships made of metal (green?). Kobolds get simple wooden stuff, painted black?

Anyone else got any ideas? We could start by just making ships and faction color schemes.

Of course this all sounds like a lot of work.

It would be a lot of work. Basically depends on how much people would want to contribute.