Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thought experiment: space is not a Euclidean volume construct  (Read 1646 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Thought experiment: space is not a Euclidean volume construct
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 06:27:05 am »

In order for light to reach the disparate "bubbles", they have to be causally connected, which defacto requires them to share the same spacetime framework.

I can't really be civil about discussing things that cannot make sense. As such, I shall vacate the thread to help it retain civility. It is the best I can do.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 06:32:30 am »

I am not sure of what the point of the experiment is.
If the world worked that way... we would continue oblivious to the bubbles until we reached the edge of our, at which point we will require a lot of rewriting of physics books.
Any further consequence depends on how exactly the interstellar medium differs in properties from the star bubbles.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 07:08:32 pm »

In order for light to reach the disparate "bubbles", they have to be causally connected, which defacto requires them to share the same spacetime framework.
Yes, that.
If there's no sort of space between the bubbles then you either wouldn't be able to send information from one to the other, or it wouldn't be consistent in the same way as you can look at a galaxy and see it there the next day. So if it's not space it's something that acts an awful lot like space.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 [2]