Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crashing  (Read 798 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crashing
« on: November 28, 2015, 02:51:54 pm »

Is there a way to track down the exact cause of a crash?  This fort is 67 years old and has suddenly become extremely unstable.  One game year ago this happened and I reverted to an earlier seasonal autosave and gave up two seasons of progress, which seems to have temporarily resolved the problem.  Now it is happening again.

To be clear, I'm not interacting with the game when it crashes.  I load the game and let it run, and it sometimes runs for a few days and then crashes, and sometimes it crashes immediately, but it always crashes and always fairly soon after load.

It's probably the good ol' tree growth crash, but how can I 1. find out for sure, and 2. locate the tree that is causing the crash and destroy it?  If I have to abandon this fort I'll probably just abandon the game instead.  This instability is completely unreasonable.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:55:10 am »

I made it a point to keep all trees within 6 tiles of the edge of the map and any of my built objects chopped. Then later lining as much of the map(where trees grow) as I could with stone roads, and my structures with stone flooring to prevent regrowth.. Seemed to work, but I don't know if there is more to it than that.

Otherwise, any time I set constructions to be built anywhere near trees to do it in smaller batches and waiting for them to be completed before assigning more so I could keep an eye out any nefarious twigs and such..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:57:32 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:37 pm »

Posting to follow this, because I'd like to know if there's any way to see what's causing crashes; all my games in r19 of the LNP have been very unstable for some reason...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:45:54 pm »

Maybe make a backup of the save, and use DF hack to magma all the trees or some such. If the game stays paused I assume it doesn't crash, right?

If so, you could plop some magma down to destroy the trees and scour the ground clean and see what happens.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:06:51 pm »

Quite a few of my crashes occur while DF is paused. This happens when I pan the cursor to look at something or build something. Of course, it goes belly up while running as well, and it also crashes a fair bit on resuming after a save. Save. Save often...

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:32:26 pm »

Crashes often appear when something happens with trees. But they also happen out of the blue. I just had one occur when I selected a block of building material. And before, without obvious reason.
At the moment, just for this reason, DF is more or less unplayable.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »

I haven't found that magma reliably destroys trees.  Often it burns up the tree branches, but the trunk remains standing and the branches are actually still there, just flagged as burnt up.

DFHack's extirpate command just plain doesn't work.  I must not have the script installed or something, and I haven't been able to find it for download.

I try to keep my embark cut down, but I don't want to suppress growth with stockpiles.  Partially because I do like being able to continue to source wood, and partially because blanket stockpiles are butt ugly.  The fort survived for almost seven decades of game time before this problem cropped up, so it seems like my tree management works in general, but there is some kind of issue now.  I would like to know if there is any way to track down the cause so that it can be resolved.