Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better Animal Sorting  (Read 1737 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better Animal Sorting
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:55:33 pm »

In the last 10 in-game years of playing my most recent fortress, I've spotted 4 ways to make dealing with animals more time efficient:
1) When building cages as buildings, there should be an option under the expanded view to make only cages with creatures in them visible. I would really like to not have to scroll through pages upon pages of empty cages.
2) I would also like to not have to scroll through pages and pages of untamed crundles and various untrainable creatures, so for the above and for pastures, there should be an option to make only tamed and trained animals visible.
3) In all of the above and in the animal screen, there should be an option to sort animals by species. This would reduce time spent looking for a bunch of animals of the same species that became part of your fort at very different times.
4) Also in all of the above, there should be a way to check the animal's description for husbandry purposes (ie; to make culling undesirable individuals and herding desirable individuals into the same pasture quicker).
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better Animal Sorting
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 03:37:24 pm »

When you have to sort through a huge list, say while trading or setting pressure plates or assigning eggs to a stockpile, it becomes obvious that at some point the game will definitely have an interface overhaul.

I do like the idea of sorting animals based on their traits, or at least showing those in the lists.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 01:43:16 am »

If even half of this was implemented, I'd cut back on 70% of my Dwarf Therapist use and probably try to domesticate animals more often. Good suggestion.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:54:21 am »

After playing some more, I've come up with a fifth suggestion: have a way of forbidding dwarfs from hunting certain species of your choosing.

And a sixth: auto-removing seeds from cages.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:19:32 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:50:39 pm »

Of those listed above, I'd say the species and the traits ones are the most troublesome to my way of play, but if I used Cage Traps more, I could see how the others would be a bother. :-\

I got the impression...somewhere...that the UI would basically remain the same until most new features are added. Since I can't remember the source, though, I'll serve that up with a grain of salt.