Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grand Ages: Medieval | Tropico meets the High Middle Ages?  (Read 7127 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Ages: Medieval | Tropico meets the High Middle Ages?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 12:47:00 am »

Wait, 1050 knights?

Ehh, knights have been around for a while, or at least nobles with their own armour. Not really the whole shining plate armour thing, that's more late 1400-1500 I believe. 1050s would be more chain mail with padded leather, like what you tend to see in "Mount and Blade".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 08:06:27 am »

Tropico fan, ptw

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:03 am »

Wait, 1050 knights?

Ehh, knights have been around for a while, or at least nobles with their own armour. Not really the whole shining plate armour thing, that's more late 1400-1500 I believe. 1050s would be more chain mail with padded leather, like what you tend to see in "Mount and Blade".

Actually the form of knighthood that fits the modern ideal best originated in the 12th century, and kind of died out in the 15th. Guns, and the increasing centralization of European monarchies kind of ended knighthood.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 09:03:22 pm »

Now this is a thread that hasn't been posted on in a while. I could make a new thread, but I wouldn't have much to say on it.

I bought this game last night and enjoy it a lot. It gets a lot of bad reviews though, but I've really been enjoying playing. But I prefer trading and diplomacy than combat, and not many strategy games focus on the first two.

It probably has been updated a ton though since this post was put up, so maybe its better than it was at release. I dunno, but I really like it.

Anyone else play(ed) this recently and enjoying it too? Or is this just a game most people don't like, that I happen to? :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 10:14:16 pm »

I haven't tried playing since the initial version so maybe things are different now, but there's a serious problem where automated traders only consider supply, not demand, when making purchasing decisions. Say you have a city that produces loads of fish. The traders see cheap fish and buy it in abundance to sell elsewhere. Those places load up on fish faster than they can consume it, crashing the price of fish locally. Yet the traders keep buying fish because its cheap at the place that produces it, completely ignoring how the price has crashed at all the other cities along the route. Now you have traders that have mostly filled up on fish that they just carry around, meaning they move lesser amounts of useful product. Not only does it cut into your profit, it also means the traders will be slower at correcting oversupply (i.e. the trader operating out of the second city should be moving the excess fish further inland, but they're filled up with some other junk product they can't sell).

The only way out of this is to micromanage the traders, manually checking the next city or two on their route to see what the prices are like, and using that information to manually make smart purchasing choices. This gets tedious once you have a few routes operating, particularly since you'll need to move a scout ahead of the trader to lift the fog of war for routes to foreign cities.

I've been reading patch notes to see if they make the trading AI any smarter, but it seems they've opted to try to make micromanagement less tedious instead. And seeing as their first major update expanded the military side of the game, I don't have my hopes up that the developers see the current supply-only system as problematic.

That said, if you don't mind serious inefficiencies in your trade routes (inefficiencies that also afflict the AI opponents, fortunately), this probably won't concern you. And in any case, there's a lot less griping about the game on the Steam discussion than there was previously (though there's also less discussion there in absolute terms as well).

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 02:25:54 am »

ah, I have noticed that it doesn't seem very optimized to the automatic trading. It IS probably better than it was, but something just a bit wrong with it. That would still be a big problem in a trade focused game for most people lol. Guess maybe thats why a lower score. The trade system doesn't seem horrible to me however, just "okay".

The game is still a lot of fun though. I'm enjoying the campaign a lot. However the cinematic cutscenes drag on for a little too long. The very first one I got was such a long cutscene and so much talking it was like someone reading a book to me lol. Then I got to play for 30 seconds and finished my quest super quick and then another cutscene right away lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 [2]