Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF on Chromebook  (Read 9459 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
DF on Chromebook
« on: November 27, 2015, 07:08:06 am »

Is it possible to play DF on a chromebook in any way possible? If so, how?

GThis is a school chromebook, so that means no fancy software or anything... even though I accidentally deleted the OS once... But I digress.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Chromebook
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:05:36 am »

Probably not. ChromeOS is not Linux.

However, many chromebooks are able to run linux. If you were to dump chromeOS and install linux on the chromebook, you might be able to either run it natively (if it is an x86 based chromebook) or install Exagear Desktop, if it is an ARM based chromebook.

So-- Theoretically, with fancy software-- yes.

Without fancy software-- Probably not.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 04:57:46 pm »

There's no way in hell that DF is going to run in that at anything resembling a reasonable framerate, I think.

I tried back when I was at Uni to run DF on my asus eee PC, with mixed results: if I restricted population a lot, and embarked in frozen 1x1 maps, it was sort of playable within certain parameters and if you were willing to endure FPSs under 15.  I believe your chromebook likely has less of a processor than my eee did. Thus, even if you could run it, I doubt you could do anything with it.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:42:48 pm »

That's going to be the least invasive way to do it too.  Other suggestions involve reinstalling the OS, which is not a great idea for a school computer.  Maybe it's easy to fix a Chromebook's OS if you do that, but I wouldn't risk it.

I'm not sure how to set up DF over SSH, but I did set up that addon that let others play it in a browser... whatever that was called.  Was that DFTerm?  In any case, it wasn't that hard to set up and is probably the easiest way to do it.  Forwarding the port on your home router to run it off of a home computer may or may not be feasible though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:01:31 am »

DF will play natively over SSH, as long as sound is turned off, and graphics mode is set to text. When you do that, it is basically just an ncurses console application, and the output is easily piped through an SSH session.

Just have whoever is hosting create a very limited user account for you.  Log in over SSH over that account, then start DF from the command line. If you want to get fancy, you can have a login script launch it for you after successful login.

You want sound to be disabled, as, IIRC, it will play sounds out of the server's speakers if you don't, and that may make your host upset with you.