Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions with modding nobles  (Read 791 times)

Khaiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions with modding nobles
« on: November 01, 2015, 06:03:02 am »

So... I'm attempting some minor modding and I wanted to know something. Would something bad happen if I created a new noble that shared responsabilities with other nobles?

The idea is creating a new noble that would share some responsabilities with the Expedition Leader/Mayor, such as attending citizens, meant as a priest of sorts. I'm guessing there's no problem, but I'd rather know beforehand.

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions with modding nobles
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:17:06 am »

its possible, but depends a bit on the responsibility in question. the talking to workers responsiility can afaik be shared by multiple and will work properly for all of these, tho im 100% on it. multiple brokers for example can be assigned but only one will show up in the depot menu.
in the vannila game, the major and the land owner nobles already share the diplomatic responsibility, which kinda works but sometimes behaves oddly.

i modded a similar thing for a custom race which is basically a combined talking to workers / motivation(champion) guy and you could have many of them. i didnt really pay attention enough to it to figure out if they all did what they were supposed to do, but it certainly didnt break anything.

suggest you just try it out.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:20:36 am by Bogus »

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »

To my knowledge, very few responsibility overlaps cause problems.
 Dark Fortress civs can only have 1 law maker per entity or they will cause crashes. No local nobility for goblins.
Law enforcement and execution must not be placed on the same position or the game will get confused and spam you with punishment cancellations.

Otherwise, responsibilities are shared fairly cleanly, like normal jobs. In most situations - medical/justice/stock screens, etc - DF seems to check only whether anyone is appointed at all.

Allowing multiple brokers in particular makes trade much less annoying, though the depot will only report on the first one, as Bogus mentioned.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 08:39:07 pm »

To my knowledge, very few responsibility overlaps cause problems.
 Dark Fortress civs can only have 1 law maker per entity or they will cause crashes. No local nobility for goblins.
Law enforcement and execution must not be placed on the same position or the game will get confused and spam you with punishment cancellations.

Otherwise, responsibilities are shared fairly cleanly, like normal jobs. In most situations - medical/justice/stock screens, etc - DF seems to check only whether anyone is appointed at all.

Allowing multiple brokers in particular makes trade much less annoying, though the depot will only report on the first one, as Bogus mentioned.
With dark fortress civs the actual problem is [CHAT_WORTHY]. You could make a law maker that isn't [CHAT_WORTHY] and it should be fine.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:34:07 pm »

With dark fortress civs the actual problem is [CHAT_WORTHY]. You could make a law maker that isn't [CHAT_WORTHY] and it should be fine.

Ah, I stand corrected.
Sorry about that!