Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [31.25] Minor issue  (Read 529 times)

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
[31.25] Minor issue
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:04:28 am »

You remember me? The crazy lady who's still playing DF2010? (No, I haven't forgotten about that silly fish mod.) Well, I'm back, and I have another modding problem.

This one's fairly minor, and I think I already know what's wrong, but I wanted confirmation from people who know more than me.

Since the whole thing is apparently too long for the forum, I'm going to cut it down to the important parts. (There are A LOT more castes than are listed here, but...)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, the problem here? Eggs. Some of the castes (which I've pointed out here) are egg-laying, and they lay two different types of egg depending on what they're based off of. While playing as these guys (yep, they're a playable race), I have the problem of the eggs not showing up on the kitchen menu. I had this problem once before, but it was with a more standard creature that only had two castes, so the problem was easily fixed by adding [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LEATHERY_EGG_MATERIALS] (which I had somehow overlooked in creating the creature).

As you can see... I already tried that plan of attack here, but it's still not working. My suspicion is because I'm using two different types of eggs for certain castes, but... well, I wanted a second opinion. Anyone?
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [31.25] Minor issue
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:28:50 am »

The problem is that both of those templates use the same three material tokens.  The easiest solution would be to make a local material for one of the eggshell types.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EGG_MATERIALS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEATHERY_EGGSHELL:LEATHERY_EGGSHELL_TEMPLATE]

Then just pick the eggshell material you prefer for each caste.  That should work, but I don't have any real expertise with the actual egglaying mechanics.  For example, I don't know how you could even differentiate the two in the DF interface.  Maybe use tissue layer color modifiers to make them different colors (would be chosen based on the caste of the mother, not the caste of the child inside the egg).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
Re: [31.25] Minor issue
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 04:02:31 pm »

...hm, yeah, I figured that was the problem. I don't think it would cause much harm to just stick with one type of egg, since there doesn't seem to be any actual difference between them (besides, well, technicalities).

I'll do that for now, unless I feel like fiddling around with egg materials.
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.