Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stars Without Number - Dwarf Stars (Roll20)  (Read 4846 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Stars Without Number (Roll20) - Dwarf Stars (Recruiting Players)
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 08:32:01 am »

I could do saturdays.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 08:39:17 am »

ok. then first session will start Saturday GMT 2pm, and run 4hrs, if thats fine with everyone. (it could start a hour or two later if its more convenient)
~Last Day for Dwarf-Only sign ups, Opening it up to public sign ups tomorrow on roll20's public listings. 1-3 slots left.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 12:54:11 am »

I had a sudden obligation spring up on Saturdays.  How would you guys feel about putting this on Friday evenings?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 12:57:19 am »

Friday evenings in what time zone? I don't usually have stuff to do on Fridays, but this week is something of an exception. However, if it's something like early Saturday morning for me (whether that means 8 AM or, say, 4 AM), I could manage that.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 12:59:30 am »

mainiac is fine with the session being 2.5hrs later. ie. Saturday 4:30GMT or just 5GMT
Which is alright with me, assuing others can.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:10:29 am by Rift »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 01:10:48 am »

Good enough for me. It's Saturday, so anything goes.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 11:09:49 am »

I'm working on Saturday, but I'm not precisely sure what time (it's most certainly NOT all day - I'll let you know by tommorow night when I can't do the session).
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stars Without Number - Dwarf Stars (Roll20)
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 10:06:27 pm »

So on Saturday I'm busy from 5:30 PM GMT until 10:30 PM GMT (I've included travel time and such; I would have to leave at around 5:30 GMT).
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 10:13:21 pm »

Well that is blasted annoying.  I guess I could tell my people that I can't make it after all on saturdays.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 12:19:35 pm »

Can't change the time anymore,  its set now. if you can't make it, the shows goes on.
that is, 5GMT saturday start.
@maniac, do you mean you can't make the 5GMT either?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:29:17 pm by Rift »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 12:46:00 pm »

Oh no, I confused myself.  I'll be at the food bank until 12 AM but will be free by 1PM EST, or 5PM GMT.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:48:51 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »

cooleo. We should have 5 people then, assuming i cant find someone to replace dontbantheman in the next day or so.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 01:31:13 am »

Pilgrim in an unholy land

Elise was much blessed by the enlightenment of Crohn.  Although she was born among the non-believers, Elise was taught the truth.  Learning was the gift of Crohn, with which he had freed mankind during the age of bliss.  But mankind had turned their back on Crohn and chosen the path of fear and pain.  In some places of ignorance, like the world of Elise's birth they cursed the name of Crohn.  In other places they simply were not aware of the Crohn's most precious gifts.  But Elise understood these things and was not afraid so Crohn smiled on her.

Although Elise was born among the non-believers, she was guided to teachers.  Her teachers were men and women who forsake the name of Crohn even as they preserved his teachings through the generations.  Inside Elise wept for their ignorance, how could one embrace the water but hate the spring it came from?  Elise could not speak the name of the prophet but her parents had taught her that she did not need to.  The great missionaries of Crohn were the gifts of technology, with which mankind could be changed.  And so Elise learned the precious knowledge of healing.  She would mend the bodies of her fellow women and men and even in their ignorance, they would be brought closer to Crohn.

But Elise was not meant to stop there.  The scholars are blessed of Crohn but even more blessed are the pilgrims who travel the many worlds.  Elise was distraught when her parents told her of a coming danger and she must flee.  But later Elise understood that these trials and tribulations were guiding her to the path of the pilgrim.  She was shackled to her homeworld and kept away from enlightenment, now she would be free to learn.  These things were not clear when Elise left her homeworld as a fugitive, but they became clear in time.  Crohn guides those who keep their faith, he had not forsaken her now.

The trip through space was a strange and wondrous experience.  Elise had served for many years on the satellites defenses of her homeworld but those were humble structures that clung to their planet.  This merchant trader was a vessel that truly traveled the stars, entering the spike space like Crohn himself.  The way was perilous but they were shielded by knowledge, the truest for of protection.  Elise felt blessed to be in the company of such holy pilgrims as these but was confused they they did not share her reverence for the most enlightened Crohn.  They laughed at her faith and spoke of him as only a great man.  Elise was confused that those who were free to speak the name of Crohn did not realize it's importance.  She pondered long and hard on this paradox, those who knew no fear also knew no love.  It saddened her but she was a true pilgrim and embraced the lesson for if she could not learn, she would be no pilgrim at all.

Elise did not chose her first destination.  She had to escape on the first ship that would deliver her from peril and that ship took her to the world of Wulwire.  It was a strange world.  The people spoke German instead of Spanish although at least both sides had a smattering of English in common.  The castes of her homeworld did not exist, here anyone might chose to become a warrior or become a farmer regardless of the station of her birth.  The atmosphere was not safe so people lived beneath ceilings and tunnels.  This last point was another paradox.  Why was a world free to embrace the gifts of Crohn have to endure the poison air while the non-believers of Hordae lived where the air had been made pure?  Perhaps there were many facets to knowledge.  Perhaps there were forces of corruption on Hordae that were perverting the gifts of Crohn.  Elise hoped the later was not true for it was deeply disturbing to contemplate.

Elise did not have the chance on Wulwire to meet with any priests of Crohn but did meet with a pilgrim like herself.  This pilgrim was lucky to be allowed to leave Hordae a free man, a liaison from the Hordae government to the Panstellar Combine.  He discretely met with Elise and suggested that the Combine would offer her the chance to learn and explore the many worlds of the sector.  She in turn simply had to demonstrate her knowledge of space ship systems and medical technology to an agent of the Combine.  The agent spoke chiefly of money but Elise understood that even pilgrims have to eat.

A few days later Elise and several other promising recruits were called into the Combine office with a wonderful offer.  They would have a chance to crew a free trader in exchange for taking care of a matter for the Combine.  But even more significant was who being considered for the job.  A mechanical woman of artificial intelligence was standing there in all her glory, while these foolish people viewed her nonchalantly.  Elise was amazed.  Here stood a living embodiment of the power of Crohn's blessing.  Elise might be able to cure the body but this woman was to her core a creation of science.  Such grace!  She even had eyebrows capable of expressing incredulity.  The path before Elise was obvious, if this job brought such a divine messenger before her, she would naturally accept.

"Crohns, blessings upon you." Elise smiled benevolently at the overweight bureaucrat.  "You can trust me with this task.  I have spent years guarding the borders of Hordae and know all too well what I will be up against." The man did not understand the blessings that Elise offered but she was able to secure a good deal and a leadership position.  The enlightenment of Crohn may not be clear to all, but his power does inspire.  What another strange paradox, that which is unseen still inspires.

Elise signed the man's papers and proceeded to the craft, observing that all was as it should be.  She had long studied the systems of the petty planet clinging satellite she had served on so she would be prepared to understand a true vessel like this.  It was pure joy, this wonderful ship to learn about and a living robot to learn from but there were the meddlesome details of the work before her.  There was some coveted item to be retrieved, Elise had several rough looking types at her disposal so she rented a van and told them to prepare.  Danger was probably lying in wait but  Elise did not need to fear that.  Although fear seemed to grant people an appreciation for knowledge so... these paradoxes were becoming very confusing.  Brushing the paradoxes aside Elise shepherded the mechanical woman and the rough but useful men of meat to depart for her quest to retrieve and protect technology.

Elise's new pilot, Ray, proved competent and professional behind the wheel of the groundcar.  They sped through the streets of Wulwire without attracting attention.  However the roads were blocked a few blocks from their destination by a police checkpoint.  Elise got out to investigate.  There was a crowd milling around, along with a woman lurking in an alleyway while the police guarded a crime scene.  It was a very petty crime however, just some graffiti.  Elise inquired with the police about why they cared for such a small matter but they seemed intent on not letting anyone paint rainbows on the sides of buildings.  Passing through the street was impossible but Elise could simply lead her people on foot for the last couple blocks.

The precious artifact was in the possession of a dishonest man of little importance.  He lied to Elise at first, insisting that she had to pay him again to take possession of the precious technology he had already sold.  Clearly one who valued knowledge as little as him had no need for the truth either.  It didn't matter however, Elise knew her cause was righteous and she knew that the muscles of Regnier and the inhuman face of Artem15 would be quite persuasive to a small minded man who understood nothing but violence.  The three of them hulking in front of the man soon persuaded him of the folly of his way and Elise lead her people away with nothing but a quick benediction for the foolish man's future.

Returning to the van, Elise and her companions found the police had departed.  Elise inquired with the woman in the alley about the strange behavoir of the police but got only strange answers in return.  The woman expressed admiration for "spreading a bit of color" but didn't share Elise's sentiments about the need for freedom from cruel governments such as Elise had known on Hordae.  She seemed more interested in simply moving from the world then any sort of freedom so Elise was left offering her a chance to pay for passage instead of salvation.  It was rather disappointing but the woman took off running.  Soon after Elise got back in the van, the sirens started.

Ray first tried to flee.  Then he realized that he didn't have a destination and shouted at Elise to take the wheel while he examined his compad.  Clearly the impression of professionalism was not going to last long.  Ray tried to escape down an alley but they were easily followed by the faster police cars.  No doubt Elise should have been capable of taking control of the situation but she foolishly allowed herself to be distracted and for others to make rash choices.  Artem15 showed wisdom of course, discouraging the human follies but Regnier and Slobodan readied their weapons despite Elise's protest.

It was all wrong, Elise had clearly erred from the path of Crohn.  She needed to use the gifts of Crohn, take control of this situation, protect these people from their lack of wisdom.  Calming herself, Elise reached out to the minds around her, sensing their attentions and hostility.  Stepping from the vehicle she loudly shouted at the police to draw their attention.  Draw their attention and then she could resolve this.  Waving her hands while shouting "there is no need for trouble!" she sensed the minds of each of the police.... they were paying attention to her, paying attention to her, paying attention to her... one was looking at Regnier!  Elise felt her mental outreach sunder and collapse as the officer and Regnier provoked each other.  Desperately she searched for an answer...  "Officer, I can explain everything-"  The sharp shock of a taser brought swift unconsciousness to Elise and she woke up in the medical bay of her ship.

Elise pondered the troubling set of events long and hard in the spartan interior of the hastily departed vessel.  She had assumed that the world was simple, there were those who fought the teachings of Crohns and those who were open.  Clearly she had been naive, drawing a line between the naive and the enlightened of the world.  A man might embrace some enlightenment like the glory of exploration or the freedom of belief but not see the value of the human life he discarded.  From her crew's description Elise pieced together the bloody events that unfolded and tried to offer them council to a more enlightened path.  Regnier seemed to understand a little but not be convinced.  Elise was undaunted, she understood now that opening a mind was no simple matter and would take much time.

The oddest thing however was the mechanical woman, who Elise thought would be able to clarify all matters.  Elise asked Artem15 how the wisdom of Crohn guided her, relishing the great wisdom a creature of science would be able to offer.  Artem15 seemed to know so little of the man however.  It was profound.  How could a creature of pure science not have any enlightenment of the prophet of science.  Artem15 even protested that the priests of Crohn that constructed her were atheists.  As if such a silly thing like belief in gods mattered to those who understood the deepest mysteries of Crohn!  Flustered, Elise tried to explain that Crohn was the guiding light behind enlightenment but made a poor show of it.  Oh paradox of paradoxes, how could one so intimate with the truth, so perfect of intellect be so confused?

Elise had departed from Hordae expecting to find a holy land where she could learn of the great truths.  What a naive childish thought that had been.  The imitation of Crohn lay in not just learning from the enlightened.  Had not Crohn lived among the foolish medieval people of his times?  The path of the pilgrim was to go among the lost and misguided of the world.  They were the ones who could teach Elise strange truths they did not even know they possessed.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 2 [3]