Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: butcher a killed animal (turkey)  (Read 1135 times)

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
butcher a killed animal (turkey)
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:26:39 am »

There was a wild turkey on my map, and, surprisingly, I killed it with a club. I say surprisingly because I thought turkeys were faster than dwarves, but somehow he managed to kill it. :)

Anyways, it's within 20-30 tiles of my butcher shop, and I set the butcher shop to butcher a dead animal, but nothing is happening.

It's a turkey and therefore tamable and I believe I read somewhere that that made it into something that couldn't be butchered?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: butcher a killed animal (turkey)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:47:39 am »

No, TAME creatures killed by means other than butchering cannot be butchered, but wild members of domesticated species are handled just like other wild creatures. My guess is that you haven't changed the default setting for corpse recovery, which is to recover only indoors. 'o'ptions-'r'efuse, and then change to collect from outdoors.

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 05:59:48 pm »

Do turkey's normally give meat when butchered?  There seems to be something in the code where animals that don't provide meat when butchered (or don't provide much, at any rate) aren't butchered by dwarves even when everything is going fine.  Case in point: killed a yack cow close to my butcher's workshop, dwarves butchered it.  Killed a raven, didn't butcher.  Killed a ferret, didn't butcher.  This isn't just a one-time thing either, I've observed it many times.
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:06:59 pm »

Turkeys gives meat if they're big enough, I use 'em as my main meat animal (because I keep missing the chickens laying eggs so my dorfs eat them). It might be a very small turkey.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 06:07:20 pm »

Turkeys do indeed give meat. Only animals so small that they would not provide any meat will not be butchered. Though small animals can still be slaughtered, if you have tame ones. Usually won't get much other than a skull, since animals too small for meat are usually also too small for bones or fat.

As mentioned, you should double-check that you have allowed your dwarves to collect refuse that lies outside the fortress. It's an easy thing to overlook.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 06:40:03 pm »

I've butchered uncountable turkeys and they always give meat.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 06:49:12 pm »

I see.  I have never bothered to butcher turkeys before.  Try what they are saying, then.
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.