Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Men and Armor  (Read 10086 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Men and Armor
« on: December 04, 2015, 03:43:58 pm »

Has anyone found an animal man in the size range possible of wearing human sized armor?  Wild boar men are 75,000 at adult size (compared to 70,000 for a human), but I have not gen'd a world with one yet.  From what I can see there are no others within the 5,000.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Men and Armor
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:16:34 pm »

The only ones I know of are the underground animal people, and I'm not at all sure if they're ever a choice as a player race.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:58:51 pm »

Probably still accurate:  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:List_of_creatures_by_adult_size

I didn't know about the 'within 5000' thing, good to know.  Here is a subset of the list from that page.  Looks like Hyena and Wild Boar Man are the two playable types.

I managed to generate a world with Wild Boar Men, but I'm debating wither the armor is worth it compared to a venomous snake, scorpion, spider, or something that flies.  Or Elephant Seal Man, because: huge.

I also sort of want to be a bardic Hedgehog... because: Hedgehog.

Hyena man   65000
Alpaca   70000
Amethyst man   70000
Blood man   70000
Fire man   70000
Flesh ball   70000
Gabbro man   70000
Green devourer   70000
Grimeling   70000
Human   70000
Iron man   70000
Magma man   70000
Merperson   70000
Mud man   70000
Reacher   70000
Jaguar   75000
Wild boar man   75000

Edit:  Here, this seed contains Wild Boar men, as well as the other stuff I mentioned above:  Elephant Seal Men (the largest land based animal man in the RAWs).  Scorpions, snakes, spiders, birds-a-plenty.  Also, HEDGEHOGS.  They're not just for Jim Collins...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:15:45 pm by puke »

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 09:20:34 am »

Thanks for the list puke, are elephant seal people restricted to slapping people with their flippers or can they hold stuff?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:12:02 am »

haven't tried, spent last night playing a wild boar man, and can confirm human-size armor use.

In theory, elephant seal people should break bridges! Will have to check on this, as well as the flipper thing.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 11:38:53 pm »

What we need now is a way for Adventurers to request custom-built gear from crafters. Pay a bunch of money, wait a few days, get correctly sized armor.

Alternatively, can DFHack spawn/delete items in Adventure Mode? I'd just delete a wrongly sized piece of armor and spawn a correctly sized one once DFHack updates. Perhaps someone could even write a "resize" command.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 12:12:19 am »

Elephant-seal men have two hands and four flippers. No probs holding a warhammer and shield for example. Or a mandolin if you prefer.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 12:31:24 am »

Elephant-seal men have two hands and four flippers. No probs holding a warhammer and shield for example. Or a mandolin if you prefer.

Two arms with hands and two rear flippers (no legs), I think he means.  Just made one, and I'm looking at its z-status screen now.  They come with appropriately sized starting gear, but you likely wont get more clothes or any armor unless you make it in fort mode.

World-gen created bridges are not bridges, they are actually floor-constructions.  So not sure if they collapse bridges when walking on them -- at least you should be able to navigate any proceduraly created sites, though you may have trouble when entering player-made forts.

No problem navigating stairs.  I once used necromancy to reanimate a giant worm angel thing, and it couldn't follow me up stairs or open doors, probably because it had no limbs.  Doors understandable, but not sure what the deal with stairs was.

Anyway, animal men all have hands, so doors will never be a problem.  And the flippers seem to be enough to get me up stairs.  Not sure if snake men (legless body type) would have a stair issue, or if my previous problem was some kind of fluke due to damage it sustained prior to reanimation.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 02:13:59 am »

Gorlaks can't open doors which is very annoying.

Also, doesn't your elephant seal man have upper left flipper, lower left flipper, upper right flipper, lower right flipper, plus regular arms and hands? Not at my computer right now but I seemed to recall them being pretty weird.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 02:21:36 am »

Nope.  Upper right+left arm, lower, hands.  Right+left flipper.  Those are arm segments, I mean.  So two total arms.

Unless Z does not display everything?   I think it does...

You running stock?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 04:12:45 am »

Sure. Was looking at the inventory screen I think.
Well, perhaps I was mistaken. Like I said not at my PC right now.

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 01:52:40 pm »

Alternatively, can DFHack spawn/delete items in Adventure Mode? I'd just delete a wrongly sized piece of armor and spawn a correctly sized one once DFHack updates. Perhaps someone could even write a "resize" command.
You can delete old item(except gauntlets) and make new one correctly sized with reaction:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ADV_REACTION_1]
[NAME:echo]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:item:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:GET_ITEM_DATA_FROM_REAGENT:item:NONE]
[SKILL:KNAPPING]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 07:14:50 pm »

Was looking at the inventory screen I think.

Ah, I think I see what you're seeing.  In the Inventory screen, it lists some body parts twice if you have (for example) both a shoe and a sock on the same foot.

So I have my lower and upper body both listed twice, because: loincloth + skirt + dress + robe.  I guess my Elephant Seal Man wears a tripple-MuMu.

Then I have.. god, the horror.  I've got chausse and sandals  on both flippers so left rear flipper and right rear flipper are both listed twice.

Tripple MuMu, Socks, and Sandals! WHAT NOW, FASHION POLICE?  WHAT NOW?