Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fractions of a bar  (Read 772 times)

forfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fractions of a bar
« on: October 11, 2015, 07:50:19 pm »

So while reading the wiki I noticed that melting down a pick will produce 1.2 bars. How is this represented in game? does this mean I can melt down and remake steel picks over and over to farm more steel bars?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fractions of a bar
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:02:29 pm »

Yes, that's exactly what it means.  There is no representation of fractional bars, though.  You won't notice them until they add up to a full bar.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 01:45:59 am »

Specifically, the fractional portion is stored in the workshop until it reaches a full bar.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 04:26:49 pm »

So, does anyone know if these fractional bars are passed around different smelters/forges, or do they remain in place until there's enough to make a whole one? Moreover, would they just outright vanish if the smelter/workshop in question were dismantled?

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »

I unknowingly exploited this while training a weaponsmith by making copper picks recently.  I left it on repeat until he was Legendary +5, melting all the non-masterwork picks.  Then later I noticed over 500 copper bars in my stocks!

So, does anyone know if these fractional bars are passed around different smelters/forges, or do they remain in place until there's enough to make a whole one? Moreover, would they just outright vanish if the smelter/workshop in question were dismantled?

They remain in the same smelter, so that you could have fractions among several different smelters.  Each individual smelter has to reach 1 full bar on its own.

As far as I know, yes, the fractions will disappear if the smelter is removed.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:32:09 pm by Kneenibble »

forfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 02:46:46 pm »

in this vein does anyone know how to set it so the dwarfs don't cancel a job if they dont have the materials? aka melting objects.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 04:03:58 pm »

There is a DFHack plugin that suspends rather than cancels repeat jobs. That's the closest thing I know. I've stopped using it, though, since I suffered severe problems with "lost" jobs, i.e. jobs that were listed in the jobs menu, but never performed (I had a paved road stopped at the half built stage for 10 or so years, individual digging squares in the middle of rooms that were never dug out, etc).

forfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:28:28 pm »

sigh. Oh, well gotta do it manually then XD

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »

I know if you set a job in the manager (j-m-p) it'll keep stocking that job at appropriate workshops until the quota is met, regardless of whether you've got bars or not. You'll have to deal with cancellation spam, but your 30 -iron breastplates- will get forged.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 09:36:39 pm »

They are tied to the smelter and I would assume they would vanish were it dismantled.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around