Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sleeping with the fishes  (Read 1136 times)

Akire707

• Escaped Lunatic
  • New Player - Up for discussion on the game xD
    • View Profile
Sleeping with the fishes
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:52:25 am »

Hello New to Dwarf Fortress having a blast so far my first fort been going well got the basic necessities down i got lucky and had iron on the surface which was very nice, however my dwarfs have become spooked due to a unfortunate soul of a dead dwarf who sadly lost his life being knocked into a pit of water after being knocked in by a tree he was chopping down and drowned. Usually i would have gotten him buried in a tomb so his family and fellow dwarfs could visit and tell tales of his brave exploits vs gravity and the dangers of not wearing arm bands around water. i attempted to retrieve the body by using stairs however no one shall retrieve his body guess the dwarfs naturally avoid water not that i blame them.

I have attached a couple of images to show my issue any assistance will be grateful. Also how many other ways of getting rid of a ghost?
Help out a Dwarf who hasn't earned his beard  :D

(when i figure out how to paste screenshots here i will)

thorium1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping with the fishes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:00:41 am »

What you need is a slab. They act like coffins but you do not need a body to commemorate the dead. More information about them in the link below.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Slab

Akire707

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:01 am »

Thanks i'll try it out, if i use a slab and still leave the body will the ghost keep returning?

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 09:26:55 am »

If you make a slab and engrave it to him, he will be put to rest. His body won't matter at this point.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 11:39:27 am »

Dorfs won't path through/into water that's deeper than 3/7. You can recover the body of the dead dorf by using a screw pump to pump the water away to create a "hole" in the water that allows a dorfs to descend there. There's a risk involved, however, as flowing water can push dorfs into water, so you need to plan where to get rid of the pumped water (a Deployable Hole is a safe option).
Also note that if you manage to recover the body of a slabbed dorf you can still bury it normally (although it doesn't add anything technically, as Chaia said, only in a role playing perspective).

Akire707

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:26:19 pm »

The ghost is now gone thanks, although it isn't needed i do want to give my poor dwarf a proper resting place  although i haven't even tried using pumps and thing of such nature i've only linked a bridge to a lever but there is always a first, wish me luck hopefully i dont flood my fort xD