Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dump item behavior question  (Read 527 times)

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dump item behavior question
« on: October 09, 2015, 04:59:56 am »

Easiest for for me is to go point by point. Point 1-4 is flavor ;)

TLDR: Dorfs dump stone on tile adjacent to dumping zone if adjacent tile happens to be a downward slope.

1. Has waterless Fort
2. Wants an underground water source
3. Finds first Cave layer and water
4. Decides to make a swimming pool
5. Digs Room
6. Channels out a 3x3 area in room (and smoothes wall adjacent to water prior to the carving of fortification)
6. Creates Dump zone adjacent to upward slopes from channelled out area
7. Marks stones in pool to be dumped
8. Watches dorfs hauling marked rocks and dumping them on the closest ADJACENT tile to the actual dump zone (Which is still IN the pit)
9. Wonders why dorfs do not climb slope and dump stone IN the actual dumping area
10. Removes dumps zone strip adjacent to slope and unforbids/remarks for (re)dumping rocks
11. Dorfs now climb the slope and dump stone IN the dumping zone
12. Scratches head in confusion and decides to ask on forum

Question: is this behavior a feature or working as intended?

Top view:

wwwwww
ddd▲ppw
ddd▲ppw
ddd▲ppw
wwwwww

w=wall
▲=slope
d=dump zone
p=pit floor

Side view:

ddd
___
     ▲_______│

Loving (and sometimes also hating; look at them bald patches) the game!

edit:tpyos
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:01:36 am by dharthoorn »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dump item behavior question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:56:22 am »

Dumping on a tile adjacent to a slope or empty space causes the dumped items to "roll" off the edge. It's the way it is, and probably intended as a means to dump stuff down cliffs/into holes.

Also note that if your swimming pool is intended as a water source, you want it to be at least two tiles deep, as shallower water gets muddy, and muddy water fights infection worse than clean water.

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 07:57:04 am »

Thanks for the reply ;)

Dumping on a tile adjacent to a slope or empty space causes the dumped items to "roll" off the edge. It's the way it is, and probably intended as a means to dump stuff down cliffs/into holes.

This seems not to be the case. I can dump stone on the tile adjacent to a(ny) slope just fine, without it rolling down, provided I approach the dump site from a tile without incline. However, I cannot place any objects ONTO an elevated dump whilst standing on a sloped (downwards) tile.

Try making a dump zone where the dump tile is elevated and surrounded by slopes like so and try to dump stone on it and you'll see what I mean - you can't;

▲▲▲
▲Z▲
▲▲▲

Also note that if your swimming pool is intended as a water source, you want it to be at least two tiles deep, as shallower water gets muddy, and muddy water fights infection worse than clean water.

Aw balls...good point. But, if I make a well then it should be fine as a water source, right?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:09:26 am »

A well doesn't change the water depth, so you still need two levels of water beneath your well. Also another issue: a completely submerged fortification can be swum through by critters (such as giant olms).

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:43:33 am »

A well doesn't change the water depth, so you still need two levels of water beneath your well.

Hmmmm....Then I will dig out another Z-level, at least below the well. As far as I can understand the DF Wiki, up until "a dusting of mud" the water is fine but beyond that water becomes a health hazard.

Also another issue: a completely submerged fortification can be swum through by critters (such as giant olms).

Well dayum... I will have to make a corridor inlet (with ceiling) then beyond the fortification and seal it with a raised drawbridge. AFAIK fortifications can't be broken by building destroyers, right?
Also, I will have to remember to refill the pool periodically

This is my first, river-less fort, as you can probably tell. Thanks for the sound advice! ;)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:45:02 am »

I can dump stone on the tile adjacent to a(ny) slope just fine, without it rolling down, provided I approach the dump site from a tile without incline.

Are you sure about this? I am pretty sure that a dump site next to a hole means "dump stuff into the hole", and not "put it on the ledge". I generally make a garbage chute dumping either into a river from above or into the magma.

I'm also pretty sure that in df2012 a slope (hole with a ramp below it) triggered this behaviour, as I used a ramp to get from the stockpile to the workshop and used a stone dumping zone to "compact" the stone storage. 1+1 resulted in stone being dumped into the hole/onto the ramp while dwarves were using it to move between levels, i,.e. dwarven headache.

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:52 am »

Are you sure about this? I am pretty sure that a dump site next to a hole means "dump stuff into the hole", and not "put it on the ledge". I generally make a garbage chute dumping either into a river from above or into the magma.

Hrrrhhh....I retested and no...they do slide down. I guess last I checked there were boulders on the tile from the digging prior to having channelled down (or my eyes had been "laced with mud" or something). Apologies for the confusion.

So well, yeah. Seems to be intended behavior. Intuitively, I figured "put it on the ledge" was more likely then "roll it down the slope" in the scenario I described but hey, I can live with this. Good to know. ;)

Thanks for the replies; I learned new stuff 8)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:01:27 pm »

Fortifications are as indestructible as walls. However, critters can be pushed through submerged fortifications. A raised drawbridge cannot be destroyed either, and a lowered one cannot be targeted by building destroyers, just destroyed as a side effect (by dragon fire targeting a merchant, for instance), or by a tantruming dwarf, if I've heard correctly.

My understanding of water quality is that bad water increases infection risk, muddy water is "neutral" and clean water reduces it.

I try to embark with aquifers. They require a bit of work to breach, but provide a safe source of water (and power, with water wheels).