Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A quest for an army of Giant Desert Scorpions  (Read 1426 times)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A quest for an army of Giant Desert Scorpions
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:54 am »

I am playing up to date dwarf fortress with the experimental version of fort defense mod.

i want to embark into a savage desert and capture as many giant desert scorpions as possible, for taming, breeding and war. i have never embarked on such a venture before, but at any cost to dwarven lives i intend to be succesful. Now, how should i go about the process?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: A quest for an army of Giant Desert Scorpions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:56:41 am »

Well I have never done it, but I'm thinking your going to want to dig into the rock, set traps up ASAP and breach the carvern as soon as you have someone to guard it. Or just trap the entrance to it.

Ethire way you are likely to need the water in the carvens eventually
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:22:57 am »

Do it and make a story from it in the community and stories sections. :3
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:25:17 am »

Try finding an embark that has a forest and desert.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 01:19:59 am »

Try finding an embark that has a forest and desert.

so if i embark on half forest, half desert, the giant desert scorpions will wander into the desert half still correct?

Do it and make a story from it in the community and stories sections. :3

i'll take notes and screenshots. if a good story unfolds then i will definitely share it

Well I have never done it, but I'm thinking your going to want to dig into the rock, set traps up ASAP and breach the carvern as soon as you have someone to guard it. Or just trap the entrance to it.

Ethire way you are likely to need the water in the carvens eventually

i've been scouting desert locations with rivers in them with the intention of controlling the surface at some point, possibly using huts with migrants in them and cage traps behind the doorways to attract hungry scorpions. a trap needs bait after all

that's my current plan at least

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 09:48:07 pm »

yep, the desert can give you the GDS the forest can give you wood and other animals. ((make sure the desert and forest are both savage enough to get them.))

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 10:17:22 pm »

yep, the desert can give you the GDS the forest can give you wood and other animals. ((make sure the desert and forest are both savage enough to get them.))

perfect. Also i should ask - what traits am i looking for in the very best dwarven soldiers, and how can i tell if someone can use a large weapon like a battle axe and a shield at the same time? i intend to separate out my dwarves into military castes, with the best getting the best training and equipment, housing etc. i need to know how to pick the ones with the very best traits, and how to encourage "doesn't really care about anything anymore" as well as buffing their traits through training. since i have the fortress defense mod as well as intending to go after dangerous targets is important to me.

B rank soldiers will be equipped moderately well and more be a last line of defense / bait for creatures i intend to capture, and otherwise everyone else will be given marksdwarf training and will occupy towers and pillboxes in the event of battle.

my current theory is making sure they are very happy with their lives, then assigning them a puppy in their training and having it butchered after they've bonded with it, and then repeating until they stop caring about anything, the kind of soldier i need.

with a squad of the largest, most powerful dwarves equipped with masterwork / artifact equipment and with creatures like giant desert scorpions assigned to them as pets which will hopefully become entangled in battle too i should have an unstoppable killing machine army to take on even the circus

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:01:09 am »

Not sure about the weapon size, but I think it is based on the average dwarf size in the raws. Not actual dwarf size.  Either way I'd use Therapist to check dwarf size to see if it is worth trying.
Many of the dwarf stats, including size & strength, rise quite a bit after 2 or 3 years of constant training in the militarily.

As for hardening dwarfs. Any military training raises discipline which has a far bigger effect on if they run away or not, and lowers the stress from seeing death. The "Does not care about anything" tag is only caused by seeing lots of sentient creatures die. Without a decent level of discipline this will stress out the dwarfs really fast. Simply seeing a dead body seems to cause the stress but not the mental hardening that goes with seeing it killed.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 02:39:14 am »

Not sure about the weapon size, but I think it is based on the average dwarf size in the raws. Not actual dwarf size.  Either way I'd use Therapist to check dwarf size to see if it is worth trying.
Many of the dwarf stats, including size & strength, rise quite a bit after 2 or 3 years of constant training in the militarily.

As for hardening dwarfs. Any military training raises discipline which has a far bigger effect on if they run away or not, and lowers the stress from seeing death. The "Does not care about anything" tag is only caused by seeing lots of sentient creatures die. Without a decent level of discipline this will stress out the dwarfs really fast. Simply seeing a dead body seems to cause the stress but not the mental hardening that goes with seeing it killed.

that tag is highly valuable to me, both for roleplaying purposes (hardening my troops through brutal training) and for practical reasons (making the well armed, well trained dwarves less likely to fall into tantrums and the like even when things go really poorly)