Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werepig!  (Read 942 times)

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werepig!
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:40:48 am »

A boar transformed into a werepig, right by the fortress entrance.
So, I set up a civilian alert and sent my squads against the creature as I was anticipating a traffic jam around the fortress gates(my dwarves were collecting wood from outside) and didn't want a pile of dead civilians.

The werepig ripped my militia commander's arm off(!) before it was killed.

I removed the now right-armless soldier from my militia and sent him to be patched up, on light duties.
Later, a party was being held in the main dining hall.
Everyone was there.
Right in the middle of the party the  militia commander transformed into a werebeast and started tearing the guests to pieces!

LOL

Luckily this game is a learning experience and I'll reload a save game.
Any advice about what to do with the infected militia commander?
Not sure if there's enough time to build somewhere to quarantine him.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
Re: Werepig!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 08:43:45 am »

If he already has a room assigned, you can simply forbid the door if he wanders in there. Anywhere with a door can be a potential quarantine room. It might not be ideal, but it'll give you time to get something set up depending on what you want to do with your new were-citizen. Are you looking to purge him? Weaponize him? Throw him into an arena for entertainment?

For future such attacks though, it's always good practice to assume any dwarves fighting a werecreature were infected. Getting them quarantined for the next full moon is priority. If you have time and patience, you can dig through the combat logs to see who got bit and who didn't. I don't have the patience for that most times, so I just assume worst case scenario and get anyone involved locked up in a room. Separate rooms. You don't want the infected attacking your clean citizens. Besides them also getting infected (or killed), there's a chance of a loyalty cascade happening if the were transforms back to dwarf during the fight.

I get my dwarves assigned to their own rooms fairly quickly, so I usually just lock them in their rooms if the medic has already patched them up. My hospital is also set up with separate rooms for the injured, with a door on each room for just such an occasion, as well. A central room for just hospital supplies and a well, and depending on my mood, several 2x3 or 3x3 rooms on both sides, each with a traction bench, a table, and a bed between them.

It's as simple as forbidding the door to keep potential were-citizens from wrecking havoc. Anyone that doesn't transform is let out. Anyone that does... well... the dwarves of Goldenspark don't suffer monsters in their midst. :3

Hope this helps!

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:36:21 am »

If he already has a room assigned, you can simply forbid the door if he wanders in there. Anywhere with a door can be a potential quarantine room. It might not be ideal, but it'll give you time to get something set up depending on what you want to do with your new were-citizen. Are you looking to purge him? Weaponize him? Throw him into an arena for entertainment?

For future such attacks though, it's always good practice to assume any dwarves fighting a werecreature were infected. Getting them quarantined for the next full moon is priority. If you have time and patience, you can dig through the combat logs to see who got bit and who didn't. I don't have the patience for that most times, so I just assume worst case scenario and get anyone involved locked up in a room. Separate rooms. You don't want the infected attacking your clean citizens. Besides them also getting infected (or killed), there's a chance of a loyalty cascade happening if the were transforms back to dwarf during the fight.

I get my dwarves assigned to their own rooms fairly quickly, so I usually just lock them in their rooms if the medic has already patched them up. My hospital is also set up with separate rooms for the injured, with a door on each room for just such an occasion, as well. A central room for just hospital supplies and a well, and depending on my mood, several 2x3 or 3x3 rooms on both sides, each with a traction bench, a table, and a bed between them.

It's as simple as forbidding the door to keep potential were-citizens from wrecking havoc. Anyone that doesn't transform is let out. Anyone that does... well... the dwarves of Goldenspark don't suffer monsters in their midst. :3

Hope this helps!

Thnx for the reply.
Lots of good tips in there.

If it happens again(I did reload a save), I'll try and have something ready for just such an eventuality.
The idea of separate rooms in the hospital is a good one, thnx.
Do dwarves starve to death if they aren't werebeasts and they are locked in their rooms?

Also, I guess this is why a wooden stockade with a fairly large area of trees(away from the walls)is needed above ground, to keep out the werebeasts when the dwarves are gathering wood; without a safe, walled-off enclosure the werebeasts seem to show up out of the blue right by the entrance to the main underground network.
Either that or keep a list of dates of the full moon handy and keep the dwarves inside at those times.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:38:26 am by Mike_B20 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:07:35 am »

A modification of the previous reply:

Weres are building destroyers, which means they can smash the doors to their rooms (you might be able to exploit the fact that they need to be two tiles away from their target to destroy it, so a single tile cell would prevent them from doing so). A safer method is to replace the door with a wall that you tear down if the next full moon passes without them turning (the wiki has a table of dates for full moons). Dorfs will survive more than a month without food or water. If you want to be "nice" you can wait with the quarantine until the date draws near. You can also build quarantine rooms locked by drawbridges (most probably that would be for the next time, not this one).

Werebeasts are sneakers, so you won't detect them until your dwarves or tame animals detect them. Guard dogs can help, for instance. If you place guard dogs in huts with locked doors sprinkled around the embark the dogs can detect them, and they'll spend time destroying the door to get at the dog, buying your dorfs time to hobble to safety, and with luck enough time is used for morning and turning back to sapient is due before a new target is attacked.

A stockade is of limited use, since most attackers can climb, but with luck attackers might path to the entrance instead.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:25:26 am »

Nothing has climbed my stockade since I included a 4-wide ditch and put an overhanging lip of flooring at the top.  They can't swing over, but have to climb 2 z-levels and then somehow get around that overhang.  I haven't found anything yet that is willing to attempt it.  You have to prevent trees from growing in the ditch, and I also road over a few tiles outside the ditch just to be safe.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:24:31 am »

Werebeasts are sneakers, so you won't detect them until your dwarves or tame animals detect them. Guard dogs can help, for instance. If you place guard dogs in huts with locked doors sprinkled around the embark the dogs can detect them, and they'll spend time destroying the door to get at the dog, buying your dorfs time to hobble to safety, and with luck enough time is used for morning and turning back to sapient is due before a new target is attacked.

Really? I'm pretty sure only foreign werebeasts are sneakers. My quarantine pits are completely inaccessible and I get alerts every time my own dwarves change form.

Anyway, what I recommend doing is to make burrows out of the werebeast's original room in your fortress and change the door into a fortification. When the beasts transform, station your marksdwarves next to the fortification and let them fire until the creature transforms back or is dead. If the former happens, good luck.

With that in mind, you'll just be better off by replacing a werebeast's room door with a wall until you can properly make a nice pit for him.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 01:16:20 pm »

Well, I think technically, your own dorfs are sneakers when turned into werebeasts as well, but you immediately detect them turning as you already see the creature when turning (and I suspect you would see a foreign werebeast turn as well, if you were to contain it in its sapient form until it turns, even if that is out of the view of any dorf. I can't test that, since I don't get any weres [they probably only show up when the pop reaches 80, which mine don't do]). However, I really intended to refer to external threats.

Yes, a wall with an overhang is safe from climbers (2 tiles out if wall/fortification, 1 is enough if it's a floor only). That does nothing against fliers, of course, but enemy ones are rare (but pests are common). With luck, the corrections of beak dog mounts for gobbos also affect other mounts. We'll see when the next version arrives.