Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can constructed floors be mudied with water to grow trees?  (Read 539 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can constructed floors be mudied with water to grow trees?
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:09:21 am »

I am building a multi-level tree farm and the fastest way to do it is via cave-in. However, the cave-in may destroy some ground-level floor tiles. If I replace those floor tiles with a constructed (block) floor and fill the chamber with water and then drain it, will those tiles allow for tree growth?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Can constructed floors be mudied with water to grow trees?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 01:11:34 am »

Muddy constructed stone floor can support a farm plot, but it will not be able to grow natural plants or trees. You need a dirt floor for that.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can constructed floors be mudied with water to grow trees?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:26:37 pm »

@BlackFlyme:

Correction: above ground flora will not grow on a floor tile which has a coating of mud, but underground flora will grow on a non-constructed floor tile with mud, as long as you have found caverns. I haven't tested specifically, but this is according to the wiki and my really super gooder memory. At least I recall muddy stone floor areas around my water-related construction projects in the past growing annoying and pernicious trees before, back when they were one-tile affairs.

Though that is a good follow-up question to the OP's post, which will quickly become relevant to him: with the new multi-tile trees, what's the best setup for underground tree farms?