Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do War Animals Breed?  (Read 678 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do War Animals Breed?
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:06:53 pm »

I think the title is pretty self explanatory: If an animal is trained as a war animal, will it still breed? Will it breed with other trained animals? Untrained ones? What about claiming nestboxes?

Related question, if I add  the [TRAINABLE] token to a creature after worldgen, will I be able to train them as war animals?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do War Animals Breed?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »

When I war trained all my dogs the still bred. Animals are going for any eligible mate for any individual mating (there's probably one per pregnancy, as opposed to real life), as far as I understand.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 01:04:45 am »

I've had the problem in multiple forts where for the first three or so years my dogs, all the dogs, pets, hunting dogs, war dogs, breed prolifically and then they just stop, all of them, and slowly die from old age. I have to hope that some caravan will deliver me a precious precious dog. I don't understand. I haven't had a puppy in 4 years. Maybe there's some kind of cap? I do have an assortment of 78 dogs. But then the cats certainly haven't capped out, or the god damn rabbits people keep bring.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:45:54 am »

They need to meet each other, no more spores...
If you assigned some war dogs to dwarves, put some other at different spots as watch dogs, have some adopted as pets, maybe they have no to opportunity to breed?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 03:20:01 am »

I believe there is a pop cap of 50 for each species (and 2000 or so total). Thereafter they won't breed (but existing pregnancies will still proceed as normal).
You don't have to hope for the dwarven caravan to bring dogs, provided you get a trade liaison: just say you're prepared to pay extra for dogs, and each bump upwards in what you're willing to pay should guarantee the availability of one more item of that kind.

I believe the caps can be modified somehow (I'd search the wiki), but the resultant FPS slowdown can not...

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 05:14:05 am »

the FPS bump wouldnt be so bad if most of the non breeding dogs are kept caged, for example puppies while they age into dogs for whatever purpose you have them for (replacing old breeders, butchery, war animals etc)