Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy Fish  (Read 572 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Lazy Fish
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:03:56 am »

I embarked in a warm area with a river, however the river ends on my embark.  There are many carp and a stingray sitting there, and my marksdwarf refuses to shoot them.  Since the river won't freeze I can't get to the fish, what do I do?  I want these bastards gone.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Fish
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:18:24 am »

What about fishing? Won't that catch "animal" fish (I rarely fish as I tend to have an over production of food as it is)?

Otherwise, obsidianization should work. Dropping heavy stuff on them from a great height works.

Damming the river and pumping the water out should allow you to fight them hand-to-fin.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 11:05:19 am »

I have been playing for a long time, but i'm actually pretty bad at the more 'mechanical' aspects of the game.  I have no idea how to pump magma, I cannot drain water.  I could attempt to drop things onto them, but I just want my marksdwarf to fire a few bolts and be done with it. 
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 11:18:51 am »

Well, you can always use this as an occasion to learn...
For magma, I'd use a magma safe mine cart (iron, steel, candy, but NOT nether-cap) and a screw pump(!) to pump the magma into it. I'd then build a floor one tile above the river (NOT at ground level) beside the offending creature. On top of that I'd build a track stop set to dump in the direction of the critter (i.e. on top of it), and then a route stop on top if the track stop and assign the full mine cart to the stop.

You could also try to build a floor out over the river beside the targeted critter and see if it can't be targeted from there. However, I've seen warnings that carp are quite deadly to dorfs, so raising the platform one level might work. I wouldn't bet on it being possible to target aquatic creatures, though, as line of sight calculations are wonky at times.
Have you tried to station your marksdwarves on the bank just beside the river? My marksdwarf experience is that they're extremely incompetent when it comes to move to get into range of targets (and I no longer use them).

terrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 12:15:39 pm »

Side note...even if you do get rid of the ones presently there....they did get there SOMEHOW...lol....Meaning, more will eventually turn up from the river :P....I believe

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 12:26:37 pm »

My experience with streams is that critters in them tend not to be replenished when eliminated. It might be that there are separate critter pools for the stream and the land at embark, but they merge into one when the water critters have been eliminated/leave.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 01:01:58 pm »

I will try with the minecart, and yeah, whenever I have a river end on my embark there are fish that never leave.  Normal rivers, they'll eventually go.  They never replenish for me.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:23:38 pm »

You can also try digging a new course for the river at a lower Z-level and drain it off the map elsewhere.  Possibly into the caverns. 
Or possibly into your bedroom level.