Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More modding questions  (Read 836 times)

Urist McFluffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More modding questions
« on: September 25, 2015, 04:46:05 am »

Well, im back, sorry to piss everyone off with my questions again but when there's one there's usually another just round the corner. Basically I've created a mod that puts the world of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. into dwarf fortress, however, every time I gen a world the civilizations i designate with babysnatcher never declare war in the legends, even though they have a red line in the embark screen. Furthermore, another civilization seems to have the No Trading tag next to its name in the embark screen. I dont even think the civilizations kill each other unless the targets are nightbeasts.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:08:47 am by Urist McFluffles »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: More modding questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 07:34:20 am »

The No Trading I've seen before.  It means the civ doesn't have any wagon pullers.  Experience would suggest that No Trading civs cannot receive migrant waves past the first two and it may effect fortress breeding rates, but this is unconfirmed. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Urist McFluffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 02:10:29 am »

Well i guess i'll look into the no trading thing but how about the whole war and violence thing.

z3shep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »

According to a source probably more reliable than me, entities are divided into four 'factions': the 'civilized', the babysnatchers, the item thieves, and the babysnatching item thieves. Entities in the same faction are neutral without a declaration of war, and entities in different factions are automatically hostile.

From my own, probably unreliable experience, civilized entities don't attack at all without declaring war. If you're trying to make two entities wage war on each other as much as possible, you could set up their ethics to oppose as much as possible. The wiki has a chart on how ethics affect how entities think of each other. Declarations of war are also apparently based on ruler personality, so if you set up the entity creature to have a very warlike attitude in general, war might happen more often.

In the end, this is a very finicky system you're working with. Best of luck in getting it to work how you want.

Urist McFluffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 09:38:42 pm »

I guess i'll try that out, thanks for the help.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:19 pm »

According to a source probably more reliable than me, entities are divided into four 'factions': the 'civilized', the babysnatchers, the item thieves, and the babysnatching item thieves. Entities in the same faction are neutral without a declaration of war, and entities in different factions are automatically hostile.

From my own, probably unreliable experience, civilized entities don't attack at all without declaring war. If you're trying to make two entities wage war on each other as much as possible, you could set up their ethics to oppose as much as possible. The wiki has a chart on how ethics affect how entities think of each other. Declarations of war are also apparently based on ruler personality, so if you set up the entity creature to have a very warlike attitude in general, war might happen more often.

In the end, this is a very finicky system you're working with. Best of luck in getting it to work how you want.
You mostly got it right. However, entities without [BABY_SNATCHER] or [ITEM_THIEF] definitely will attack without declaring war if you're playing as a civilization that does have [BABY_SNATCHER] or [ITEM_THIEF]. Furthermore the system is actually quite reliable. I've experimented with it a lot myself and a huge part of Masterwork is based off of it, it definitely works as reported. As for why they're not going to war but do have a red line, that's what I've called a baby snatcher conflict, which is basically the same as being completely neutral towards each other except when a fortress is founded, at which point they start fighting, at least in that fortress. So in world generation all [BABY_SNATCHER] and [ITEM_THIEF] does is make them send out baby snatchers and item thieves, but once you start a fortress they start fighting each other in the way that can be used to form factions.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia