Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: using invaders for !!SCIENCE!! What have you tried/accomplished?  (Read 1666 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: using invaders for !!SCIENCE!! What have you tried/accomplished?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 06:44:49 pm »

That's a good point, my trap was built before that the new fear thing was a problem.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
Re: using invaders for !!SCIENCE!! What have you tried/accomplished?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 01:01:11 am »

Back in the day I stuck two full invasion forces of goblins, there mounts, and trolls into an arena with an invasion force of zombies from the tower nextdoor. I was trying to determine if better equipment and a few beasts of brute strength would be able to overcome the sheer numbers of the undead.

Results were inconclusive the first but I did learn that necromancers are fucking assholes who can raise bits of the dead being moved past there cages for destruction outside the fortress. Unfortunately while that situation was being cleaned up my squad of marksdwarves finished off whoever won between the two armies fighting it out in the basement and enough time had passed that when I noticed the logs had been buried.

The second time I did this test it was much more successful and I uncovered something interesting, before the most recent update which added fear and many other things the two armies would end up in one of three situations. First situation the goblins with better training and equipment destroy the zombies before they can be disemboweled but not before they have most of there legs broken. Second situation though sheer numbers and difficulty in killing the zombies kill the goblins while taking heavy casualties and losing a significant number of limbs. Situation three had them fighting each other to a stand still.

Based on various other details it's almost certainly to do with the type of weapons the goblins have. Whips got them killed more often then not. Hammers and maces worked alright but it depended on the skill over the user. Spears, swords, and axes tended to work really well.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.
Pages: 1 [2]