Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Omon En, the realm legends[Non expert playthrou of fortress mode]  (Read 906 times)

Simon_science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Omon En, the realm legends[Non expert playthrou of fortress mode]
« on: September 29, 2015, 09:02:03 pm »

Omon En, the realm legends.
DISCLAIMER:
I am the proverbial ''Dwarf Fortress N00b''. If your expecting me to make a super efficient fortress, know exactly what is going on, and that i will make evrything super hard for myself on a haunted evil glacier... well don't expect that. However i hope i can provide entertainment as i will surely epic fail within the first few years of this fortress.
I've wanted to make video game playthrou for a while now. When- out of curiosity - i checked on the forums and saw this section, i looked around and decided to start posting the adventures of this small colony on the forums.
Because, like i said earlier, i'm a ''Noob'', any advice,stuff i'm missing or imminent doom that i'm not noticing, is appreciated.

(P.S.:If there is some kind of ''Unspoken rule'' that you may only post community runs and such here, i will gladly pass down the command of the fort to another ''dwarf'' that desires it(and that will keep posting here of course)i might actually do that anyways for entertainment value and such)

Enough with boring disclaimers!

Presets and a full view of the world:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Somewhere in the dwarven libraries of Omon En, there exist records of a dwarven administraitor. On the orders of the current ruler, you are ordered to classify the documentation, and begin reading the books

1st Slate 124:
My name is Minkot Eshimsazir. I will start keeping a record of events in my life as evrything changed today.
I'm a smartsdwarf. In general, dwarves aren't renown for their intellect, but like in every society, their is a anomaly that occurs creating individuals smarter then the average. Because this is rare, i am moved throughout the dwarven empire and used to do pretty much everything.
This morning i received a letter from a long time friend called Kib Etururdim, a gem cutter, detailing that the emperor requested me at his hall. Once there, he gave us a speech:
"I have been thinking" he said. "and we should seize the opportunity to develop an oversea colony"
"... You do realize we have just experienced a major colonial fail, your greatness?"
The emperor tightly closes his eyes, with evident bad memories coming back up in mind:
"don't remind me of the clapping colony"

The clapping colony was supposed to be a military outpost on a supposedly "temperate" island. Turns out that 1:the island was made of sand and 2: there was no flowing water. This combined means that everyone sent to the island died either of frostbite or thirst, as even if they could have created pastures for the farm animals they sent, its difficult to drink with no plants to make alcohol or water to drink.
"I am sorry, your greatness"
"Don't be, as the task i am about to impose on you is great. You must, in a year from this day, have planned an expedition to the fading hills"
"What am i to do, your greatness" i reply, already thinking of the implications another colony
"Gather the supplies and find a group of seven people to establish this colony. Find an area with stable rock and clean water that isint frozen. Then put the supplies and people and yourself on a boat, and go establish a colony."

The emperor suddenly leaves the room, letting me know that i have no say in this: i am going with the colonists, whether i like it or not. The emperor is probably concluding that if i risk my life in this venture, i shall plan it good. Tonight i go to sleep knowing that i have a lot of work ahead of myself, and i should prepare myself for what is to come.

many pages go on for the pre travel preperation. a demarkation appears one year later.

1st Slate 125:

We have arrived! it feels good to be on land aigain. It should be no surprise dwarves don't make excellent seafarers. I've made sketches of the surrounding area, and we have begun making a entrance for an underground residence. Here is a crude sketch of our surroundings:

And a list of our crew:

8th Slate 125:
We have been working for eight strait days, hauling objects into the underground storage area we created:

Frankly this isint much but at least we are on a island with LOAM! we were able to set up a farm immidiatley which is reassuring. i thout we would need irrigation, which is time consuming and dangerous.

There is a torn out page before the next entry

11th Felsite, 125:
Armok damit I still cant believe we almost died because our two miners removed the stairs. Anyways, things are looking good! we have a few workshops set up and- there is a break in the notes - YES we struck silver! if i remember correctly , that metal is excellent for bludgeoning weapons. ''START CONSTRUCTING THE SMELTERY!''

1st Hematite, 125:
Finally summer!
Things are going smoothly. More silver(YES MORE!) has been discovered and is now being processed into weapons and crafts. We happened to dig into bauxite which can contain some high value gems! I am a bit worried that we will run out of food: the best i can do is dig out more spaces for farms and hope we can have trade goods by the time a trade caravan comes here.

16th Hematite, 125:
We have unearthed much silver. I fear this wealth may eventually bring attackers, thus the first objects created were maces. we have already started constructing a weapon level and expanding the farm to assure we have space for seeds when we eventually get a trade caravan.

25 Hematite, 125:
its been about two weeks since i ordered the digging to take place but really i cant blame the poor guys, they have been mining, smelting, smithing or producing constantly. I'm becoming more worried about possible invasion, so construction on a large rock drawbridge is starting. I've also started a squad composed of... let me check the papers

-some documentation is jammed in between the pages-

The Uncommon Roofs? Who was the dwarf that chose that name? i swear i need more people in this fort, else we wont be able to maintain all of our jobs. At the same time, i need more food and alcohol to support all of these dwarves.

I also noticed you cant make shields out of silver. S***. We may have to best maces ever but how will we stand a chance without proper armoring?

Ill go rest for now and decide what we should do afterward. I just hope we don't get mauled to death while i sleep.