Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible to download older, more stable version of DF?  (Read 1333 times)

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible to download older, more stable version of DF?
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:17:48 pm »

I tried downloading the Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r16 but am having problems running DF for longer than a few minutes, using various configurations of tile sets and utilities, without experiencing a crash and the message "Dwarf Fortress has stopped working".

Last time I played DF was about four years ago using the same system I am now using; didn't experience any crashes then.
So, is it possible to download an older version of DF; and which older version should I download and where from?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to download older, more stable version of DF?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 01:51:39 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

::)

EDIT: 0.34.11 is about as stable as it gets.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:54:58 pm by SirQuiamus »

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 06:29:21 pm »

0.40.24 is stable, but has an intermittant worldgen crash which I've seen happen with 0.34.11. But yeah, 0.34.11 was very good, and better than 0.40.24 in some ways (though I do play on .24).
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:04:25 pm »

Well, I downloaded the file again and unzipped to a new folder.
Norton had a problem with the main .exe and I needed to un-quarantine the file.
After that, DF started crashing at world generation.

I unzipped again and quickly set Norton to accept the DF .exe file as safe before Norton had a chance to quarantine it.
Have played for half an hour now without a crash, so maybe there is a problem when Norton quarantines the .exe.
Hopefully DF will continue to run without crashing.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:35:50 pm »

No, Norton isn't at all related to the worldgen crashes you were having. It just does that.

Norton doesn't modify file contents at all when it does quarantine (if it did, it would not only reduce how effective it is to analyze the file thoroughly for research, but also potentially create lawsuits when it, for instance, corrupts major databases). I'd have to check to make sure (I don't have Norton on here - for good reason), but I think it just does a simple file move operation.

EDIT: And before anyone goes to say there is no good reason a safe (non-infected) database would be flagged and quarantined, Norton (like several other scanners) does heuristic scanning. I'm 95% sure that whatever it found was a false positive - something that can easily happen with any file.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:39:57 pm by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:44 am »

No, Norton isn't at all related to the worldgen crashes you were having. It just does that.

Norton doesn't modify file contents at all when it does quarantine (if it did, it would not only reduce how effective it is to analyze the file thoroughly for research, but also potentially create lawsuits when it, for instance, corrupts major databases). I'd have to check to make sure (I don't have Norton on here - for good reason), but I think it just does a simple file move operation.

EDIT: And before anyone goes to say there is no good reason a safe (non-infected) database would be flagged and quarantined, Norton (like several other scanners) does heuristic scanning. I'm 95% sure that whatever it found was a false positive - something that can easily happen with any file.
The OP was using a Starter Pack which means DFHack.  DFHack impersonates an external library and therefore ought to set off any malware detection tool anywhere.  But I suspect some of the engineers at those companies play DF.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 12:52:36 pm »

I decided to start a new game, this time setting up a tailor-made starting team, which took quite a while.
Then embarked.
Once again, "Dwarf Fortress has stopped working".

Sigh
Might try again later when less tired.
Do others experience all these crashes, and just keep trying until they get a stable game?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 02:00:11 pm »

I've never experienced such regular crashes with any version of DF, not even the unstable ones shortly after a major release. Sounds like the problem is specific to your system, probably something to do with the antivirus, as you already suspected.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 06:04:43 pm »

Hmmm...
What version of Windows? Are you able to upload the (potentially large) crashdump anywhere? (The crashdump might be located at %localappdata%\CrashDumps; you can get there by typing it into the Run... prompt (Windows Key + R)).

What version of Norton? A couple of systems in the house have Norton installed, I might be able to rule in/out the AV as a cause.

Was the most recent crash with non-LNP? In fact, have you tried a vanilla, no-tileset, no-DFHack run? Just trying to isolate variables.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 06:05:45 am »

If you are a literate computer user there is no reason whatsoever to use anti-virus software. Although I use linux now, I've used Windows from 95 to XP and (1) never isntalled any A/V and (2) never got any virus. Don't download and execute random stuff from the internet (including email), keep your system patched and your firewall active, and you should be fine except for very rare zero-days which A/V won't help against anyway. The only reason for A/V is if your computer is shared with a partner/parent/child/housemate who you don't trust to behave (and you should probably give them a restricted account in that case, but that might be politically sensitive).

Seriously, uninstall Norton and try again (and breath a sigh of relief as your computer suddenly acts as if it was 5 years younger :))

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 11:13:52 am »

Thanks for the replies.

My version of Norton is: 22.5.2.15
I'm running Windows 7 Professional

I set up Norton to ignore the DF folder I've installed to, immediately after unzipping again to the folder for a fresh start.
The folder is in my downloads area and has no file protection issues.
Experienced a new crash after map generation when I clicked, "Start new game"; tried again and strangely got DF running ok and embarked.
Was messing around with designing and building a starting wood stockade; hallway built it and again *boom* "Dwarf Fortress has stopped working".
Checked Norton for security history and no Norton activity evident, no DF activity blocked, no files in quarantine.
So, I just don't know what's up.

Might try again some other time.
Thanks again for the replies.

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 09:58:48 am »

Finally got it working.
When I looked at the executables in the DF unzip folder, for some reason they were all set to run as compatible with Windows XP(Service pack 3).
I changed them to run as Windows 7 compatible and as System Administrator and it's now been working for several hours without a crash.