Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McSadDwarf cancels hauling, horrified (x80)  (Read 840 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McSadDwarf cancels hauling, horrified (x80)
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:21:15 pm »

Look, I get it Urist, you're sad because ballistas + long hallway + goblins makes a huge mess. But here's the problem Urist, those bodies (um... well what's left of the bodies) are not going to clean themselves.

So, I've got this problem. The gibbets of goblin goop dripping from the walls has deeply traumatized a number of the dwarfs in the fortress but some other dwarfs seem to be less bothered by it. Is there an easy way to identify what dwarfs are going to be more or less traumatized by the wonderful slaughter of goblins? If there is I'll just remove the cleaning duties from those little baby dwarfs. Additionally when dealing with these overly sad babies is there a particularly effective way to help them get over it so we can go about making sharp things out of metal?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McSadDwarf cancels hauling, horrified (x80)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 03:24:00 pm »

Controlled killing of sentients around them for a while will harden any dwarf. Just takes a lot to do. There's also conscripting them all into the military and having them train for years.

Look for higher discipline traits, or in their profile lines like "Is getting used to tragedy" or "Doesn't care about anything anymore." Those are the big ones that mean "Kill whatever you want, dude. Long as I'm not related to it, I don't give a shit."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 06:53:53 pm »

Trying to desensitize sensitive dorfs will probably push them over the edge. I usually use the DFHack enhanced unit view to check on stress at a glance, while others use Dwarf Therapist.
You should also remove the refuse hauling task from the ones at risk, as that is the one that's used to move the body bits.

There are a number of alternatives to reduce the stress risk:
- Flush out the bodies with water
- Incinerate the bodies with magma (you'll lose the underwear and non magma safe goblinite, though)
- Use cage traps, strip the captives, and then execute them (save some for use as silk farm bait). Pitting in magma fails occasionally when the pittee gets lose and has to be put down by the militia stationed there for just that purpose (but civilians can still get hurt). hooking up the cages to levers and then atom smash the captives can be done with limited risk, but additional work.
- Also, if you've created a mess, haul out the body parts first and start to collect the dropped items only when the area is clear of bits to spare the sensitive ones.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:25:38 pm »

Heh, imagine trying to explain to someone years ago (0.28...40d 4 life) that this would actually be a problem that could happen.  DF's come a long way, in certain ways.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:49:47 pm »

Oh...body (part) clean up is probably the biggest problem of any well running fortress nowadays.

In Violentlash it seems like I have enough dwarves carrying corpses and corpse parts that it doesn't matter to the individual anymore. 135 dwarves, of which probably 120 carry refuse do a good job. The dumping location is not too far from where the business happens, that way it all is cleaned quite quickly.

Weirdly I have not had any dwarves go "horrified" even by the bigger slaughterfests anymore. Maybe they start to care less and less about corpses as well? It seems like their stress increases not much by corpses as well anymore. And while they are all watching the military train in the dining room (legendary observers ftw), they are not hardened through killing of sentients in front of them or such.

Still, I never cared if they get horrified. Just keep an eye on their stress levels and deactivate refuse hauling for those who get too stressed out by it. The main thing to keep an eye on is getting the corpses removed as fast as possible. Having them lying around will cause bad thoughts every time they see them, much worse than the "one-time horrication", at least from what I saw.

Oh, and, I have every room for every dwarf decorated with engravings and nice furniture (clear glass table & cabinet & door + wood chair & bed). Besides having a dining hall with expensive statues and such in it. I also let them party a lot, even though it annoys me quite often.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:53:17 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:15:01 pm »

If you have at least some of your militia train in your primary meeting area, it seems that dwarves milling about there will gain a little bit of discipline skill. They'll still get bad thoughts from seeing the corpses of sapient beings, but they'll haul 'em anyway.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 09:25:03 pm »

If you have at least some of your militia train in your primary meeting area, it seems that dwarves milling about there will gain a little bit of discipline skill. They'll still get bad thoughts from seeing the corpses of sapient beings, but they'll haul 'em anyway.

Need to be careful with that. I had a child's head explode after a collision with the largest dwarf in my military.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:11:07 am »

Need to be careful with that. I had a child's head explode after a collision with the largest dwarf in my military.

Now I'm imagining some hilarious Nintendo Wii accidents I've seen, just with warhammers.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 06:36:43 pm »

Never had that, lips, ears and such "splitting into gore" happened quite often, but nothing more serious. Then again, I only use ramps for the main part of the fortress. If I had stairs go right through the dining hall like I have ramps, I'd have had many fatalities I guess.
Only time I had lots of hurt dwarves was before I set the tracks for the minecarts to "restricted traffic". Somehow dwarves love to stop pushing minecarts halfway along the track, causing them to go down their ramps out of control...Since I changed it to restricted everywhere where the minecarts can derail I tend to only lose peregrine falcons every now and then. Though since most of the times the minecarts weren't deadly (using wooden minecarts), at least my medical dwarves were getting some training. Buuut...earlier in the fortress I did lose two dwarves to it, one of them a child.

There are some weird behaviour things about sparring causing teleportation from what I heard though, but I feel like these small problems outweigh the use one gets out of having every dwarf be a legendary observer and not freak out at the slightest sight of a dead being. Just...don't have stairs in the dining hall/training room. And don't have a 1-wide wall bordering on a deep pit as the room's walls. Hm...then again, thinking about it, I never had a dwarf teleport into my well's water supply which is only seperated by a 1-wide wall from the dining hall/training room. I did have one dwarf magically smash into the wall of the ravine in which my river runs though. Still no idea how he got there or what happened there.

But yeah...whatever it is, something causes my dwarves to rarely ever feel horrified. Either the training in the dining hall, or the massive amounts of corpses they already had to haul away.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.