Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground treasure guarded by demons - Lava?  (Read 1310 times)

Justinlc91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground treasure guarded by demons - Lava?
« on: September 14, 2015, 03:51:41 pm »

Hey guys.

One z-level down from ground level there's a small cave (with a single up-ramp tile) that has 2 demon(I think?) creatures guarding a shit ton of good looking treasure; coins, armor (leather and metal) silken bags and ropes etc.

My fortress is brand new and although I was able to disable the up-ramp and install a door I'd like to get at that treasure ASAP. If I use lava to kill the demons will it destroy any of the items?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Underground treasure guarded by demons - Lava?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:02:50 pm »

Magma will destroy anything other than glass, steel, iron, and certain types of stone.  A full list is here.

Also caves that reach up to the surface don't have demons.  They're probably just kobolds or maybe some larger creatures like blind cave ogres, and nothing that a properly trained and equipped militia can't handle.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:04:31 pm by Bouchart »

Justinlc91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 04:05:29 pm »

Wow.. that's neat. Thanks.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:26 pm »

Maybe, but there's a good chance it won't hurt them. It will melt the leather/silk/silver/gold.  Personally you're sitting on a valuable resource in those demons. Get a cave spider, web some cages, and relocate them somewhere more impactful. Or just feed your vistors to them.

Edit: I thought you had demons take over a temple or something, your baddies may be less bad. Still worth weaponizing thou, its DF after all.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:10:43 pm by gestahl »
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:17:09 pm »

Artifacts won't be destroyed either, but they may be put on perpetual fire (and I think the only artifacts existing currently in DF are player made, so you won't find any).

If the creatures are indeed demons, I'd say there is a significant chance they're building destroyers, which means they could smash your door. They'd also be extremely dangerous. You might have encountered a kobold lair, however, or the creatures might be cavern creatures. In the first case, kobolds can open locked doors without breaking stride, while crundles (who look like small devils) are among the weaker of the cavern dwellers.
Many caves (all I've found) reach down to the first cavern, but I've never found any with loot in them.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 04:30:00 pm »

If they are actually demons the magma won't kill them.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 04:52:54 pm »

What you're dealing with is probably a lair, which are little caves that are dug out in world gen by certain creatures. You can even see lairs during site selection if you change the appropriate flag in init.txt. The "demons" are most likely night trolls; these have semi-random names and anatomy (much like forgotten beasts, titans, angels and demons) but are smaller and weaker. The loot is all stuff that they stole from various nearby settlements during worldgen.

If you check the individual night trolls' names in Legends mode, you might find that they have interesting histories- night trolls can abduct people in worldgen to become their wife or husband, which turns the abductee into a night troll; some night trolls may have originally been members of your civilization or even be related to some of your dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:50:50 am by Niyazov »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 01:27:49 pm »

Magma will not kill demons and will destroy items. If they are night trolls, they are not demons and will die to magma: read us a description and we will know.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 04:26:21 pm »

I think you're using a tileset, such as Phoebus.  Is the world made up of weird letters or pictures?  In tilesets, frequently all procedurally generated creatures have a demon-looking tile.  Such creatures include: titans, forgotten beasts, demons, werebeasts, night creatures, etc.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!