Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpiles Specific to Workshops  (Read 1799 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpiles Specific to Workshops
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »

I am trying to get my dyeing industry up and running, but those fool Urists keep making dwarven sugar or flours of various types. How do I
>Make a stockpile of only bags which will be used exclusively by the millers/dyers?
>Make a stockpile of only dying materials, from which the millers will take exclusively, and make exclusively dye?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiles Specific to Workshops
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 02:15:13 pm »

You gonna have to uncheck items manually. Both dyes and sugar are in milling plants category.

You can link finally tuned piles to worshops than, but I don't know how because I never bothered.
Unless you want to avoid milling sweet pods, I don't see why would you need a second thing, just mill all what is millable on repeat.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:30:04 pm »

You can tweak stockpile contents quite extensively, so you can make a stockpile that contains food, but not meals ('u'), and only plants, block all and then select the dye source plants (dimple cup, hide root, sliver barb,...) and link that to your miller. You ought to remove those plants from the general food/plant stockpile to get all of these sent to this one exclusively. You'd then have to also link the miller to a stockpile that contains bags. I'm not sure if links are exclusive on the provider side [i.e. causing the stockpile to give to no destination other than the workshop(s) linked].

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 03:32:41 pm »

To make a stockpile that accepts only bags, make a furniture stockpile, forbid everything but "boxes and bags" and then disable all materials other than yarn, plant cloth, silk and leather.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:30:57 pm »

Once the stockpiles are linked, they become exclusive, as do the workshops they're associated with. I learned this after getting cancel spam every time I tried to make traction benches in a stone-stockpile-linked mechanic's workshop.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 01:09:03 am »

Thanks Argonnek. I knew workshops with links were exclusive, but I was unsure about the stockpile.

Note that a linked bags stockpile then won't be usable for anything that isn't linked to it. If you have any other usages for bags (sand, quarry leaves, seeds,...) you probably need to have an "open" stockpile that carries bags as well, and limit the size of the linked one to avoid it hogging every bag in the fortress.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 01:18:26 am »

For plants-to-mill-into-dyes

Set the stockpile to be a food stockpile, then hit 'b' to block (forbid) everything. Go to 'plants' in the middle list. In the right list, scroll UP to wrap around to the end of the list. "Dimple Cups", "Hide Root", "Blade Weed", and "Silver Barb" are all together at the end of the list. Hit 'return' on each of them to enable. You now have a stockpile that only allows dye plants.

Back in the q-select for the stockpile, click 'g' (for 'give'), and it will prompt you to select (via moving the cursor and hitting return) the stockpile or workshop the stockpile should give to. Select your dye-quern.

For bags:

On a furnature stockpile, 'f' for 'forbid' 'type' from the middle list. This forbids all types of furnature. Then, find "boxes and bags" and enable it. [f]orbid all of the material type items in the middle list. Then, in the right-hand list for 'other materials', turn on cloth, leather, yarn, and silk.

same procedure to link it to your dye-quern.

Note that as others have indicated, once you link a stockpile to a workshop, that workshop will ONLY take items from stockpiles that link to it. It took me forever to get a dye-only-quern working, because I didn't realize that once I linked a plant stockpile to it, I would also need to link a bag stockpile to it.

You will also want to set your dyeworks bag stockpile to [t]ake from your dye workshops, to keep it a closed-bag loop. This means that you will also need to set a cloth/thread stockpile to [t]ake from the dye workshops, or else the dyed items will never be removed. Another quirk I tripped over: turns out that the seed created by the milling process is left in the bag rather than in the quren, and so it will get left in the dye-workshop when the bag is emptied. Therefore, if you set any stockpiels to [t]ake from your dye workshops, you need also to have a seed stockpile [t]ake from them, or the seeds will never be removed and will eventually clutter up the workshop until they are too full of seeds to be used (something else I figured out the hard way.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:21:17 am by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Shaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 04:58:03 am »

One trick I've found is that, on stockpiles that you use as outputs from your various workshops, you don't actually need to configure them extensively.  Just set them to take everything in a certain category and you're good to go.  They will only take items from the workshop, so it self-selects.  I used to spend a lot of time configuring all of my supply-chain stockpiles with each of the ingredients and results of every workshop, when all you really need to configure are your workshop inputs.

I've also noticed that seeds can wind up in funky places.  To combat this, I generally set up two seed stockpiles: one that doesn't take from anywhere (which eventually catches any seeds generated outside of workshops, such as when Urist McStarveypants eats a plant or root raw, and one that takes from every workshop even remotely connected with plants.

I do all kinds of stockpile supply-chain management, but I'm pretty sure that until my fortress is mature, it actually decreases my efficiency.  It's best when you have dedicated shop-workers on whom you have hauling tasks disabled, and enough cheesemakers lying around that hauling tasks get handled quickly.  Otherwise it just generated excessive hauling tasks, though it is useful for things like preventing certain plants from being processed or milled.  It also satisfies my OCD :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 06:03:44 am »

A minor clarification on Shaf's description:
The "free" seed stockpile should not have any links, but it should not be set to "Will take from links only" (which is what you get when changing the "Will take from anywhere" setting. Just so the wording doesn't lead to confusion.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 12:51:49 pm »

if you have dfhack installed use workflow!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 01:58:29 pm »

What uses bags?  4 types it seems, growing, food, furnace, and dye.

(growing) Seeds,
(food) Quary Bush Leaf / Leaves from Farmer's Workshop (b),
(furnace) Collect Sand from Glass Furnace,
(food) Mill / Quern - food type: flour, paste
(dye) Mill / Quern - dye

How many types of bags are there? 4 types of bags: cloth, yarn, silk, leather
Hmm, you can set 4 different stockpiles for the 4 types of bags, and each of the 4 specific uses.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 03:33:53 pm »

Good thinking, Sanctume!

Although there is the rare case of plaster as well...
However, you may satisfy yourself with locking one or two types of bags for specific uses, and allowing the other kinds for general use.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 10:33:04 pm »

(food) Mill / Quern - food type: flour, paste
Paste doesn't need a bag. It's like tallow.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 07:49:23 am »

Use a burrow.

Put only plots that produce dye plants in the burrow. Put a plant stockpile in the burrow. Restrict jobs to using materials from within the burrow.
Once you get from the plot to the plant stockpile you can do the rest with linking stockpiles to workshops to stockpiles:
plant stockpile to mill
mill to dye stockpile (whatever that happens to be)
add the cloth/leather with "get from anywhere" stockpile

Job done.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.