Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Targetable geldables organ?  (Read 3442 times)

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
Targetable geldables organ?
« on: September 18, 2015, 03:34:30 am »

Is it possible to have a part of the body that is treated as a geldable and is targetable in adventure mode? As in:
Head
Upper body
Lower body
Geldables
Left arm
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Targetable geldables organ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:03:05 am »

I would assume you can do that by adding body parts. 

Check out the body construction in body_rcp.txt.  Most people creatures use the HUMANOID_NECK construction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, each body part is connected to something further up the chain, hand connected to lower arm, connected to upper arm, connected to upper body.  Add a new body part to the lower body and make it geldable in the creature definition. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:21:41 am »

Yes like Ace mentioned just make a new BP called your desired organ (testes) what connects to the LOWERBODY(type) or LB(standard ID)

And then in the creatures MALE caste you use the
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CAT:REPRODUCTIVE??][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]

At this point I'd suggest looking into Body Part Creation, BODY assignment (and how it works with CASTEs)

But remember if you just want this for animals (as that is what you can GELD unless you can also do so to prisoners now?) you'd have to manually go through all animals and make these changes and attach the organs. Because simply adding them to a current plan will give everything that organ (even females) because they use the same standard bodypart plan.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:33:04 am »

But remember if you just want this for animals (as that is what you can GELD unless you can also do so to prisoners now?) you'd have to manually go through all animals and make these changes and attach the organs. Because simply adding them to a current plan will give everything that organ (even females) because they use the same standard bodypart plan.

Although you could call it something generic like NAUGHTY_BITS.  It would appear and be targetable on females, but only geldable on males (if specified in the creature file). 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:00:00 pm »

@Ace - Very true, however I'm not sure what RailroadRider's design criteria is, or work ethic (Quick, Dirty, and Generic. Or Detailed oriented by the book)

Good suggestion

EDIT:
Question since I did some quick research into gelding (haven't gotten to testing newest DF yet) Since the bodypart is Geldable (in most cases is the lowerbody and cannot be severed, and if severed leads to death) what happens if a non vital part is severed in combat that is also the Geldable part (these NAUGHTY_BITS) will that automatically apply the gelded or the "x♂x" effect rendering them unable to breed or would it render the creature unGeldable and thus never lose the ability to breed even though that breeding part was removed? Even say for livestock, would it be even possible to geld it with the part severed (that is if removing the part by other means doesn't apply the geld effect)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:13:02 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 03:01:28 pm »

Animated heads are listed as gelded, so that is kinda what you are asking about isn't it?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »

I guess that would answer it. But is that because of the reanimation? or because it's severed from the lowerbody(geldable)?

I'm going to go with, answered

EDIT:
still throws out the NAUGHTY_BITS generic part because ovaries are not external and to dmg them would require stabbing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:18:10 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 04:02:44 pm »

Keep in mind that if you attack the lower body of a geldable creature, you can end up gelding them. So adding a new BP might be more redundant.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 10:31:22 am »

Although you could call it something generic like NAUGHTY_BITS.

Just imagine those combat logs.
It would be Obok all over again.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 02:45:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure regardless of gender external genitalia can be damaged to the point where you're no longer able to reproduce so I don't see any problem with females having a generic NAUGHTY_BITS bodypart with [GELDABLE] applied as a token in the body raws.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia