Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too easy or too hard, no middle ground  (Read 1682 times)

lisras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too easy or too hard, no middle ground
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:09 pm »

I love the idea of this game, but this game is either way too easy and boring or way too hard and unforgiving. I started my first place at a noob biome where there aren't that many bad people, just the occasional bad animal or a nercromancer who runs away when my army runs towards him.

So, then I decided to try an evil biome and I can't last more than 5-10 minutes. After the fifteenth try of an evil biome, I could actually survive for 25 minutes. But then my pet cat died and came back as an undead cat and slaughtered every single one of my dwarves. I looked up online and it says that unlike every other game, these undead zombies get buffed with strength and ridiculous speed.

My question is, is there a middle ground? I just built next to two goblin fortresses, I don't know if that would help increase raids in my kingdom or not. What I would like to have happen is maybe struggle with a military loss here and there, have enemies try to raid my kingdom, but not necessarily wipe me out in the first five minutes of playing. I'm all for hard games and I really like this game, but I can't find a good middle right now. :(

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too easy or too hard, no middle ground
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:32:57 pm »

My question is, is there a middle ground?
Untamed Wilds can be a good biome compromise. Especially if you also embark as close as possible to goblins and within range of a necromancer tower.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:31:43 am »

a few things you can do is:

embark NEXT to a terrifying biome, so that you seldomly get undead and clouds, but your dead wont resurrect
embark next to populated dark fortresses
embark in the middle of an elven retreat cluster and chop all trees
build your fort entrance in the caverns

you get the gist

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 03:54:28 pm »

He's right though - evil environments can be extremely punishing, but almost everything else is easily dealt with with a militia that has trained for a year or two. There should be more and tougher sieges, and military training should be significantly nerfed, and part of it should only be doable using live training. Warfare is not learned in the barracks...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 05:33:22 pm »

Try searching for the worldgen cookbook thread or looking at the interesting sites on the wiki page.
One wheel short of a wagon

Urist Targaryen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 05:43:37 pm »

Make your own challenging: mega projects, self-imposed limits, theme your fort off of it's randomly generated name, etc. The idea of easy or hard ignores the fact that there isn't one set goal to be easy or challenging to obtain: there are as many or as few goals as you want there to be.

If vanilla really just doesn't do it for you in terms of challenge you could try mods that offer more challenging modes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 05:45:15 pm »

theme your fort off of it's randomly generated name
Damn, this is a great idea, how come I never heard it before? Now I know what "Tangle" should have been like!

Slakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 08:10:45 pm »

I love the idea of this game, but this game is either way too easy and boring or way too hard and unforgiving. I started my first place at a noob biome where there aren't that many bad people, just the occasional bad animal or a nercromancer who runs away when my army runs towards him.

So, then I decided to try an evil biome and I can't last more than 5-10 minutes. After the fifteenth try of an evil biome, I could actually survive for 25 minutes. But then my pet cat died and came back as an undead cat and slaughtered every single one of my dwarves. I looked up online and it says that unlike every other game, these undead zombies get buffed with strength and ridiculous speed.

My question is, is there a middle ground? I just built next to two goblin fortresses, I don't know if that would help increase raids in my kingdom or not. What I would like to have happen is maybe struggle with a military loss here and there, have enemies try to raid my kingdom, but not necessarily wipe me out in the first five minutes of playing. I'm all for hard games and I really like this game, but I can't find a good middle right now. :(

Hey i'm making a series about surviving in extreme enviroments i would really appreciate suggestions, ideas, questions so please leave a comment there!

I hope my vids can help you! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQIobW18ULFYFdi8VAg8BQ

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 11:11:44 pm »

A forgotten beast with deadly dust or with a fire attack can take down a fortress.

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 09:49:08 am »

theme your fort off of it's randomly generated name
Damn, this is a great idea, how come I never heard it before? Now I know what "Tangle" should have been like!

I guesse Weakpicks should be a surface fort built out of wood, then.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:50:37 am »

And doortube.. wait, I did leave the door open for an unstoppable FB to kill everyone and venture out through the long tube between the caverns and the surface!

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 04:09:38 pm »

I started as a peasant in Adventure mode, went to bandit camp and I took all of the treasure. Nobody did not anything to stop me, easy peasy and bit boring.
Do you think I am to strong?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 04:12:10 pm »

REDACTED

I am a horrible sarcastic person, that was untrue :P
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:03:12 pm by NJW2000 »

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 04:52:49 pm »

I started as a peasant in Adventure mode, went to bandit camp and I took all of the treasure. Nobody did not anything to stop me, easy peasy and bit boring.
Do you think I am to strong?
No, you could have done that as a three legged kitten, provided you could pick stuff up. It's not broken, just that people recognising theft is unimplemented. And hostility is rather basic, as bandits are generally only hostile when raiding if they come from a friendly civ.
Yes, you are a god only dwarfed by Armok. Go raid a necromancer's tower right now.
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.