Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weirdest child ever...  (Read 2168 times)

WingSoap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weirdest child ever...
« on: August 16, 2015, 04:44:36 am »

One of my children just got a strange mood. I checked him out in dwarf therapist. It says he is one year old, despite being a child and not a baby, and within the last season he felt love after becoming a parent. Is this a bug or a feature?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weirdest child ever...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50:26 am »

Parent and child interactions seem to be mixed up sometimes. I seem to recall a mother feeling fond of talking to 'mother' and her child feeling fond of talking to a child.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:43:42 am »

Dwarf babies grow up to be dwarf children at approximately age 1. Dwarf babies are less than a year old, so that is pretty normal. The messed up 'felt love after becoming a parent' thing is a known bug I think, I do recall seeing that reported in the forums before.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:32 pm »

Yes it's a known bug.  Parent/child thoughts are switched.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:13:09 pm »

Parent and child interactions seem to be mixed up sometimes. I seem to recall a mother feeling fond of talking to 'mother' and her child feeling fond of talking to a child.
Isn't it actually possible for an female, adult dwarf, who is also a mother, to still have a live mother in the fort, talk to her, and get a happy thought from it? Thus, a mother is happy from talking to mother?...
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 02:16:50 pm »

Sounds like the mother switched bodies with her child to prolong her life. Dammit Lovecraft, get out of my game. Shoo.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:43:07 pm »

Isn't it actually possible for an female, adult dwarf, who is also a mother, to still have a live mother in the fort, talk to her, and get a happy thought from it? Thus, a mother is happy from talking to mother?...

Generally, conversation thoughts are mutual, so this is unlikely.
One wheel short of a wagon

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:19:44 am »

Perfectly possible, especially if your fort is 15+ years old. Grandma gave birth in year 1, her daughter grew up in year 14 and married another 14-year-old (perfectly possible since they've been idling near each other all their childhoods), and then in year 15 her baby grew up to be a child which she can talk to and have good thoughts about.

The really buggy thing is when you see a child who's enjoyed talking to a child lately.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:24:13 am »

As a teenager, I agree that that is weird.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:40:33 am »

I'm not a teenager, and it's still weird... but it is also consistent within DF's universe.

First, the parent-child thought descriptions are scrambled, which is the known bug referenced above.  Usually it manifests as a child saying it spoke to a child lately, though this one seems a bit different.  Did the child recently get a younger sibling?

Second, once a citizen moves from babyhood to childhood, he/she is eligible for a strange mood.  Precocious little snot.  The problem is that the child never performed any labors and thus probably doesn't have any moodable skill levels.  The default seems to be legendary craftsdwarf, though it's conceivable that could be affected by the child's material and item preferences.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:18:21 pm »

If the child received a sibling, then the child would think "Felt adoration speaking to his/her sister/brother" IIRC?
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 03:55:08 am »

I think it's something along the lines of "felt love when getting a sibling". I think there is another happy thought about speaking to a sibling.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 03:22:14 pm »

Sounds like the mother switched bodies with her child to prolong her life. Dammit Lovecraft, get out of my game. Shoo.

And that is why parents use babies as shields!!!  It makes perfect sense now!!!