Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ballista more effective for training?  (Read 1482 times)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ballista more effective for training?
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

It seems to me, that using a Ballista to train operators is more effective than a catapult. Why? Well, for one thing, you can train 3-4 engineers to legendary while training operators. Provided wood isn't a major issue, this is quite a boon as you'll have all the masterwork arrows and siege machinery you'll ever need. Not to mention you aren't wasting space storing ballista/catapult parts to train engineers with.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Ballista more effective for training?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

If you are going to go to all the trouble to train a siege engineer to legendary then yeah I guess you could make ballista arrows to do it, and fire those off to train with.

Truthfully though it's not really worth it IMO... masterwork engines seem to miss all the damn time just like garbage ones, there does not seem to be much of a difference at all. Combined with the extreme overpoweredness of legendary military dwarves and traps and the difficulty in setting up siege engines in a good place and it's all just a waste of time.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

I imagine siege engines will get more useful once we can fire at enemies on different z levels.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

I use them to turn caravans into paste, i've never actually " trained " with them. All of my operators got legendary via killing elves and humans trapped between my grates.

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

There is (or at least was, since I haven't checked this) a way to fire ballista bolts so you don't lose the ammunition once it's fired.  Just channel out the area underneath where the bolt will hit, and the bolt falls down to the hole below.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

The main reason I don't use ballistas is that people keep walking in front of them, and you can't stop that from happening.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

With proper setup it isn't too hard to stop them. My biggest problem is siege operators with children.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 04:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Khosan:
<STRONG>There is (or at least was, since I haven't checked this) a way to fire ballista bolts so you don't lose the ammunition once it's fired.  Just channel out the area underneath where the bolt will hit, and the bolt falls down to the hole below.</STRONG>

Another way of doing this is just to build the ballistas/catapults above ground level.  They'll go some distance, hit an invisible wall and fall intact.

But unless you REALLY want a lot of legendary siege engineers, training on catapults is much faster.  Once they're approaching legendary, they'll be firing a shot every few seconds.  I really doubt you could keep making ballista arrows that fast -- stone is much more abundant, just create a stone stockpile right by the catapults.

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Footkerchief ]

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
<STRONG>With proper setup it isn't too hard to stop them. My biggest problem is siege operators with children.</STRONG>

Children, pets, spouses; and, afterwards, people going through to clean up ex-children, ex-pets, and ex-spouses; and, afterwards, people going through to clean up ex-cleaners; ...

Catapults you can just set on auto and no one gets hurt.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

3 engineers can keep two operators fed with arrows provided you have the wood.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
<STRONG>3 engineers can keep two operators fed with arrows provided you have the wood.</STRONG>

1 engineer can keep n operators fed with 1 arrow each that never goes away provided you have n logs, and a channel under the entire length of the training range.  Said length can be 1, by the way.