Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: vampire frequency  (Read 9677 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: vampire frequency
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 02:31:39 pm »

World gen length seems to effect it most for me, as well. Large world, 1050 history, average 3 vamps per 100 dwarves. Largest world, 250 history, highest savagery, so far no vampires, forts up to 200. Current one at 100,still no vamps.

If your getting vamps as often as goblins... You're not getting many vamps :p previous world, previous fort, 100 goblins per year and climbing, started getting sieges, so it started climbing :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 12:47:06 pm »

I'm starting to think that maybe savagery, or the number of megabeasts, titans and semimegabeasts, have an effect on it....

I've been trying to gen a pocket world, with all the features (all the neighbours, including tower) a patchwork biome, high savagery and lots of caves volcanoes and semi/megabeasts, titans... I even increased the werebeast and vampire curses to max and tried genning 250, 500 and 1000 years histories.

When I check the historical figures of these worlds in legends viewer I usually end up with lots of werebeasts (not 1000 by any means, a 100 or so maybe) all of them "wandering" or with no status, and none or a handful of vampires (I'm lucky if I get 1 to be a dwarf) and they are never "settled", only "wandering" or without a "status".

With longer histories (1000 years) I get a few dozen vampires, but a handful being dwarves and from those maybe 1 or 2 actually settled somewhere, that always turns out to be a human town and not a mountain halls....

Also noticed that I get human kings in my dwarven civs...

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »

Human Kings result from conquering human settlements and the entire dwarven royal family line being extinguished. I noticed that some kings or queens will look for a way to not die and then profane a temple becoming a vampire. Even non immortality seeking kings or queens will profane a temple and become a vampyr

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:11 pm »

Human Kings result from conquering human settlements and the entire dwarven royal family line being extinguished. I noticed that some kings or queens will look for a way to not die and then profane a temple becoming a vampire. Even non immortality seeking kings or queens will profane a temple and become a vampyr
maybe the number of civilitations in world gen is affecting this? I genned with 20 civs in a pocket world, I usually end up with 4-5 civs of each (human, dwarf, elf, goblin and kobold)...

Do that and the number of settlements affect vampires? I read that after a while people get suspicious and they have to move, if there are not a lot of civs to move to, maybe they stay wandering the wilds?

Checking the legends my wandering vampires have a lot of "got confronted by" before moving to other settlement or "wander"

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 10:25:12 pm »

I had one fort with 1 vampire before it's death.  1 in 112.

The second had 37 vampires.  It... was messy.  37 in 84.

Then one had two vampires, my surgeon and diagnostician, ironically.  2 in 54.

Then the next four forts didn't have a single vampire.  0 in an average of 90.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 01:11:54 am »

I had one fort with 1 vampire before it's death.  1 in 112.

The second had 37 vampires.  It... was messy.  37 in 84.

Then one had two vampires, my surgeon and diagnostician, ironically.  2 in 54.

Then the next four forts didn't have a single vampire.  0 in an average of 90.
were all these forts from the same world? did you genned different worlds for them? if so do you recall the parameters?

Zero_hu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 02:32:10 pm »

Thanks for the info on how to find vampires.

It looks like I'm extremely unlucky.
I want to build a "perfect" fort, with sand, volcano, flux, maybe a river but that's not really important, and all the possible neighbors (humans, elves, goblins and a necromancer tower). I had big plans dividing my population in three, one normal dwarf fort, a vampire city, and a werebeast village.
I generated dozens of worlds, and finally I found a place that looked good.
At 120 dwarfs and in my 7th year, I still didn't get vampires. I usually get one at pop 40-50 in year two.

So I started searching, found this thread, and I looked at the legends.

Guess what? Absolutely no dwarven vampires in the world. 20 hours of fort building, and I have to start over.
Well then, back to worldgen.

Zero_hu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 02:59:27 pm »

Well Legends Viewer's vampire checkbox doesn't seem to be working. Most of the checkboxes work fine and give results, but the vampire and werebeast seraches don't list anything. I checked a retired fort where I know I have a vampire, and he doesn't show up in the Legends Viewer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 04:38:05 pm »

Well Legends Viewer's vampire checkbox doesn't seem to be working. Most of the checkboxes work fine and give results, but the vampire and werebeast seraches don't list anything. I checked a retired fort where I know I have a vampire, and he doesn't show up in the Legends Viewer.

Am I doing something wrong?
No. Ive noticed this as well. I had to use world viewer to find my vampires

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 02:34:57 pm »

All vampire interactions are identical. However, the ratio of werebeast interactions to vampire interactions controls how common each one is. I used to have 1 vampire interaction and ten werebeast interactions per world and only have ~3 vampires per world and a hundred werebeasts. Now I do 10 vampire, 5 werebeast.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 05:52:18 pm »

I have had forts with 300+ dwarves and no vampires.

I don't really mess with curses in worldgen.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 05:32:54 am »

Sometimes pocket worlds don't even get temples so can't get any.
Vampires pretty much come down to luck, I generally check the Legends list before starting a game to see if there are any.

What I've been hoping for is a way to mod in an interaction or a DFhack to make someone a vampire, but so far it doesn't seem like there's anyway to do that.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »

Check out the Dark Ages mod, there are lots of different vampire types, TONS!

They're terrifying too, having a naked human use a self-target interaction to bump their speed up to 9.9 and hurtle towards you out of nowhere is impossible to get used to.

Also, dear Armok, I thought it was a necro from March of this year...

Oh, one last thing: in order to determine the frequency of a vampire I need to know how fast it is rotating.
Pages: 1 [2]