Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Savescumming and you  (Read 1953 times)

tychoruniko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Savescumming and you
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

At first I had no idea you could savescum. And then when I got good (lucky?) enough at the game to not fail every five minutes (now it takes at least a whole day for a fortress to spiral into madness and death) I felt like I didn't need it anymore. Like I had already met the challenge, if you know what I mean.
The Dwarves' iconic beard may appear to be made out of facial hair, but its appearance is deceptive. What appears to be long, braided locks is actually a complex organ, which filters alcohol out of the bloodstream much like a human liver. But rather than discard the alcohol as a waste product, it is burned and converted into energy, which explains the lethargy apparent in dwarves that have gone many days without a good drink.

To put it simply: the dwarf is a booze-powered rock-breaker.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

I never savescum in DF, not for fortresses or adventurers.  I'm a complete convert to the DF "Losing is Fun" mantra; I used to savescum the hell out of Angband ("It breathes fire!  You die.") but being taken apart by a GCS just holds a sort of horrid fascination, and a fortress full of insane dwarfs is its own reward.   :)
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 07:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by John Johnston:
<STRONG>...but being taken apart by a GCS just holds a sort of horrid fascination, and a fortress full of insane dwarfs is its own reward.    :)</STRONG>

That about sums it up. Plus, personally, I am lazy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

I think between acceptance of "Losing is Fun!" and laziness, I haven't done it.  If I screw something up in a fort, I'm more likely to intentionally destroy it and start another then want to back up for a do-over.  I have seasonal autosave on, but mostly due to DF being an alpha.  I've only had a couple crashes, but I *really* hate losing a lot of work.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

I leave autobakup on, but have never used it. I tend to go for invincible defences, though, so the only time anything serious happened was when a dragon climbed in through the back staircase I'd forgotten about. I lost two dwarves to it (legendary miners FTW!) and then lost about fifty more (from a peak of more than eighty) to the ensuing conflagration.

And then lost the save and all the backups to a system error. That's the only fort I might have considered savescumming, but I think things had more or less stabilized and I might have been able to recover.

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".
Pages: 1 [2]