Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do retired, player created fortresses count as 'neighbours' when embarking?  (Read 2525 times)

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile

Let's say in my world there's a large uninhabited area where I can only get dwarves as neighbours. If I had modified the human/elf/goblin entities and embarked them to that area, would that extend their civilisation's influence and allow them to be neighbours when embarking in that area?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Do retired, player created fortresses count as 'neighbours' when embarking?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:14:25 am »

I would assume they will, but there is only one way to be sure.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 04:32:22 am »

I would think so but wouldn't that only leave a site with the number of citizens you left there? meaning that if you left 7 goblins at your new site and retired then the civ would only be able to send 7 gobs to attack.

Also, I think this probably goes in the modding forum.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:08:30 am »

It's an interesting question: make a modded race that explosively breeds (multiple births per pregnancy, no baby or child stages) and nurture them for oh... 3 years. That should bring the population to siege-worthy levels. Then see if a "next door" fort gets invaded by them.

For sanity, stop worldgen in year 1 to prevent population (and data) explosion.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 02:44:34 pm »

That's an intriguing idea. I wish I'd thought of it.

Also of interest to you might be the DFHack "startdwarf" command, which allows you to increase the amount of citizens on embark to whatever amount you wish (provided it doesn't crash the game); and the "points" script, which should allow you to increase the amount of embark points, meaning that not only can you accommodate all the extra citizens, you can make them into nightmarish, military prodigies.

EDIT:
Well, this is embarrassing. One still can't allot more than 10 points to a citizen, nor more than 5 points to a particular skill. Is there a script that deals with this?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:16:08 pm by Urlance Woolsbane »
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 08:45:28 pm »

Not that I know of, but you can embark them with things like steel equipment and 50 war dogs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 11:04:27 pm »

afaik, retired forts are considered standard worldgen created sites, and worldgen continues around them.  I've retired fortresses to have them be attacked and taken over by goblins.  I learned the hard way that defenses mean nothing in these fights- its just a straight simulated fight with equipment/skills (I know only retire forts when everyone is a trained and equipped soldier). 

That being said, you'd obviously need to use two different civilization and have one of them at war with another.  If you simply mod one to have the standard child snatching/thief tags it'll be at war with all humans/dorfs/elves.  However, you'd actually want to embark as athe gobbos then have them war on the dorfs you'd later play... The game simply doesn't handle intra-faction fighting.  You never see dorf vs dorf wars or even gobbo vs gobbo wars (although they do murder on the individual level).  So I'm pretty sure it'd be buggy as hell if you tried to get two "dwarf" (you embark and create forts, migration, etc) civilizations fight each other.  I'm pretty sure the game would consider both "dwarf" civilizations.  Even if you modded the game to play as gobbos, then unmodded to play as standard dwarf after "seeding" an area... probably super buggy.

How about... you just generate a different world to find more gobbos? Even large worlds with short histories are relatively quick to make.  Just crank up the number of civilizations to max.  You should be able to further increase civilization size in the advanced world gen settings.  You can also lower the number of megabeasts, as they can wreck civilizations as well. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 06:31:58 am »

I've done that before and it works. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 04:09:45 pm »

This raises an interesting question. Say you have a loyalty cascade, and separatists (loyal to the fort, not the civ) win. When you retire the fort, what happens? I think they're counted as a separate entity but hostile to your old entity. If you build up their population enough, can you then start a dwarf-on-dwarf war? Will they ever make peace?

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 08:52:15 am »

Just a note about immigration.
I'm on my 2nd attempt at a 1000 dwarf fort. I had to retire my 1st attempt because a low child cap broke immagrant wave sizes, retired with 120 military.

New fort, I started getting immigrants with their nicknames m.a, m.x., m.s,m.h.
All the m.x. ( crossbow squads) had brought their *steel crossbow* with them!!
A few m.a (axe squads) brought their *steel axe*!!!!
Seems all axe had woodcutter skill. All crossbow had hunter.
NONE brought armor, but eh...free masterworks are always good, not to mention +5 archers/axemen. ;)

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 09:23:14 am »

I had a similar thing happening to me. in one world, this legendary weaponsmith follows me around, always migrating to my latest fort. I will be so annoyed if he dies.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 06:38:49 pm »

Makes me wonder if a retired fort grants your civilisation access to whatever new materials you discovered there.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 12:31:53 am »

Makes me wonder if a retired fort grants your civilisation access to whatever new materials you discovered there.

If you civ has [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] it does not grant access to the animals in the retired fort's biome.  That said, I don't think I ever tried with a fortress of more than the automatic migrant waves; you might need a certain population or a certain time spent there to count.  I was actually doing this to try to cheat the fact that my [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] civilization didn't have any pack animals, which obviously prevented trade caravans from the homeland, somehow prevented migrants other than the automatic waves and might possibly have prevented all fortress residents from having children. 

In case the blow-by-blow is helpful to anyone, I was trying to start a war with all of the mod races from furry fortress, one of them was not in the area I wanted to build on, so I made them a quick fortress next door and behold, they started sending caravans to me for ransacking.  But then I realized I was playing 40.xx and I spent a very boring couple of years with the two towers as my only friendly neighbors.  Finally I got word from the homeland that our capital (and only non-player city) had been conquered by humans, so I sent a team to Reclaim it.  I assumed that the population had been killed or at least disbanded, so you can imagine my shock when I discovered its 200+ alive and well and completely hostile to my reclaim part.  So I decided to abandon it and reclaim with a team of more militarily focused dwarves and wouldn't you know it, they all decided that they were not hostile anymore.  And just to add further insult to this misadventure, the humans conquered one of the retired fortresses which I had completely sealed off to the outside world. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 01:55:26 am »

Thanks for the information. Perhaps you need to properly domesticate a creature to make it available like that.

I will have to do some science I suppose.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands