Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steambridge: bridge challenge community fort  (Read 700 times)

Eritzap

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Steambridge: bridge challenge community fort
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:26:49 pm »

For centuries, the Humans of the Coastal Empires and their brothers from the Coalition of Citadels had rich and prosperous trading relationships. Countless ships were sailing through the Tattooed Waters to link the port cities of Sternwildness and Hopconfuse.
The Goblin pirates from the Autonomous Deceiver had always been a menace to the Human trading buisiness, but these last decades they grew impressively in number and boldness, needing constant increase in protection to the commerce convoys.

Representants of both nations were sent to the Pleated Barb, a mountain range home to the Dwarves of the Teal Channel. Dwarves were well-known for their engineering proficiency and their willingness to accept the wildest challenges.
Together, the three nation concluded a contract for the construction of the biggest project ever conceived on the know world : to bridge the Continent of Artifices and the Land of Meadows.

Countless bridges has been built above rivers and ravines, but the strait separating the Continent of Artifices and the Land of Meadows, at it's thinnest, is still way wider than anything attempted before.
But the Dwarven engineers are far to be scared by the challenge, quite the opposite as it will only allow their race to shine at the sight of the entire world.

Spoiler: Contract (click to show/hide)
As agreed in the document above, the Teal Channel won't requiere any monetary payement for the constuction of this bridge. Instead they request the Humans to improve their commercial relationships with the Dwarves, and in case of war, should side with them. In addition, the Dwarves will requiere to be able to build fortifications around and on the bridge, and to be allowed to price the crossing of the bridge.
This contract seemed fair by all parties, and was quickly signed and sealed in the name of the three rulers of the nations.

The Teal Channel prepared careful this construction, gathering the finest architects of the country, and finally selected 7 of the most able Dwarves, to have a first look at the building site, and prepare the area for later arrival of workers to properly get this bridge started.

Spoiler: Contract (click to show/hide)
The document above is the contract hiring the chief architect Kogsak Rempartrider and the construction supervisor Logem Wheelsfolded.

And so these 7 courageous Dwarves setted out on a long travel to the site where soon a bridge will be formed, the greatest bridge ever seen!

Welcome to the Planet of Oracles!
Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)
This is a small world, shared by 10 civilizations, only one of them being Dwarven. It is divided in two main landmasses, to the south and east is the Continent of Artifices, to the northwest is the Land of Meadows.

As you probably guessed by now, this is going to be a megaproject, more specifically, a large bridge over the sea. Needlessly to say I needed countless world generations to find a world with the requierement for this to happen.

Let's see what the embark has to offer:
Spoiler: Building site (click to show/hide)
On the local map, this embark is 2*15 tiles.
In the actual gameplay, this translated to 96*720 tiles to play with! I used a simplified 3*3 pixels tileset to make that map, so we can have a global view of what we're dealing with.

I am not making any promise to the actual success of this project, neither on how long it will takes. I just hope to entertain some interested readers with the mess that will probably happen.

It will be a vanilla Dwarf Fortress ; until the bridge is done, migrants/merchants/invaders which spawn on the wrong side of the sea will be DFHack teleported to the other side, but only if their originator civ/lair is on the other side.

You may ask to be Dwarfed, but the starting seven isn't available for Dwarfing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:48:46 pm by Eritzap »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steambridge: The bridge challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 02:47:59 am »

Yesss... You must do this.

You can dwarf me, and any dwarf will do.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:33:46 am »

Please Dorf me... wouldn't miss it for the world.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Addict7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:44:26 am »

Ptw!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:30:46 am »

PTM.  Dwarf me as a mason building endless blocks. 

Are you going to create a parallel iron tracks so you can have an adventurer ride / travel the entire span of the bridge?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:58 am »

This is gonna be like Oceanbridges.

This is a good thing.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 11:48:19 am »

this is community or succesion?

dorf me as  a mechdorf
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:57:34 am by Gwolfski »
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 11:54:57 am »

Oh, yeah, minecarts are a must.

Can you Dwarf me as head of security for the construction site?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.