Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrono Warriors: Kinda-sorta a cartoon show-esque project (last updated: Aug 31)  (Read 1281 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Vaguely inspired by comic books, video games and cartoon shows of old, this is some weird story project of mine. Bad and cheesy plot, over the top character design and much more awaits!

Maybe one day it'll become more than just random doodles or walls of text, but until then...

EPISODES

ART

(Note: Some particularly big images were resized to not stretch out the page into the horizon - most notably the backgrounds.
Another note: There's no real order to these.)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:21:20 pm by Maks »

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Maks' wacky character designs (last updated: Aug 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:24:25 pm »

Krita kinda looks like he's holding a paintbrush and palette. Coincidence? https://krita.org/
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:33:52 am »

Krita kinda looks like he's holding a paintbrush and palette. Coincidence? https://krita.org/

What do you think I'm using for this? :P
Here's a hint (also a sneak peek of the next update):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:41:55 am »

Right, last update for a while until I make another row full of wacky badasses.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Maks' wacky character designs (last updated: Aug 1, #2)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:10:45 am »

Ohohoho, very nice! I'll be keeping an eye on this, you got some nice and entertaining designs going. :D
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Maks' wacky character designs (last updated: Aug 1, #2)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 05:11:52 pm »

Couldn't be arsed to finish the 6th character for today, but here goes anyway.

I should really get started on these bios...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Bios?
Pfft.

How about a full blown story script (without dialogues I guess)!
(also a new character)

This has a name and theme now. Wooh. Rejoice.
 Dunno how far I'll be able to go on with this but right now I have a couple half-decent ideas so stay tuned. :>

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Here's some news:

I now have another person working with me on this (on the writing side at least, I'm still handling all the art), and they're very good at this.
Also, here's a sketch dump (all of these were taken out of my scraps group layer in the main file). Top row is finalized sketches (the ones that I based current linearts on), middle row is outdated/changed sketches (you can tell how much I loathe drawing certain characters) and the bottom row is complete scraps I never finshed (though they might still re-appear later on, who the hell knows).

Warning: massive image.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Okay, here's a hi-res "splash" art of Sgt. Mallard I just drew in the early morning. Good way to spend a sleepless night.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

So, big update shall be dropped!

First off - new name. Mostly because "Chrononauts" already exists and it's a cardgame/comic book that this project has very little to do with - don't want to walk on any thin ice there.
Another change - Krita (the zany paintmage character) is now called Kraya (crayon, cray-cray, no? okay...) - again, to avoid incurring the wrath of Krita (the free art program that you should totally check out, it's what I use for all the art in here myself) creators, even though I guess it's a very fitting shoutout. :v
She also replaces Skip in the first episode (even though it doesn't really have an impact on that episode in particular yet...). The starring art for that episode has also been updated (with a character that was previously missing...).

Episode #2 is still underway. I've been really going through a giant slump with it for some reason. That said, I have been doing a lot work to the overarching plot of the series that won't really be highlighted in the second episode yet, but it felt like something I had to do sooner rather than latr otherwise I'd be running on filler episodes which is a shitty way to start off...

There's also a bunch of new art in the OP now, including some semi-fancy backgrounds and random sketches.

I think that's all I wanted to talk about for now.
*goes back into hiding*

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

This looks awesome; the art's super cool, and your story-telling style is really unique. Definitely watching, and best of luck!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

This looks awesome; the art's super cool, and your story-telling style is really unique. Definitely watching, and best of luck!

:>
SO...There's a distinct lack of explicitly villainous characters in the current roster (excluding two characters who switch sides, there's Brazen and Steno, who serve as mercenaries/hired goons), so it felt reasonable to design a couple more.
Although I decided to do away with putting all characters in the "master doc" for now since it doesn't really feel all too comfortable to draw there.

So, meet Karnster and Falk - totally not shoutouts to one of my favorite power metal bands. I gua-rantee it. (okay, not really)
But really, they're hired killers, not willing to co-operate unless money (or aur, as the case may be) is involved. I have one more such mercenary in the works (who's been there for like 3 solid weeks but I haven't really focused on them much...). Stay tuned? Stay tuned.

Although I'm not really entirely pleased with Falk's current design (and pose, for that matter, it's a little awkward), so I'm probably gonna give him another go later this week, but now that school is gonna start (this is my last day of vacation), I will have less time to work on this, sadly. :c

As a bonus, have a fancy Dr. Agon splash art (with design inaccuraries no less!) and re-done demons sketch.