Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Animals (specifically Cats) Labor (such as mine)  (Read 774 times)

SorenCool12

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I had a demon pretending to be a god and they wrot
    • View Profile
Make Animals (specifically Cats) Labor (such as mine)
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:04:10 pm »

OK, so i was having a little fun today and decided to see if the "make_legendary all" command in DF hack could work on Cats, it did and i was wondering if there was a way to mod the game to allow for Cats to labor and for you to be able to set their labors.

I know this is probably really simple but i cant seem to do it.

Thanks to all who help UristMcRetard
I had a demon pretending to be a god and they wrote books. The books were just about themselves, what an ego.

elves 'grow' items on the tree into the correct shape
and then gently clip them off. Only they know how to do it, and it's the only way to make things out of wood without hurting the tree.

I assume the Elves think other races are just callous when they cut down trees that would happily just grow the crap they need.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Make Animals (specifically Cats) Labor (such as mine)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:41:48 pm »

It's not really simple. It's impossible really. I remember there was a dfhack script which I think would let animals haul, and make captured invaders or caravan merchants into citizens of your fortress, who could also only haul. However, I've tried it in 0.34 and it was out of date, so it probably would only work in 0.31. Even if it did work it wouldn't be what you wanted. So, no, there isn't a way. Maybe next version will make a new dfhack script possible that adds animals to your citizens list or something weird which lets them work, but that might not even be possible, and would probably onley exist several months from now.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:29:02 pm »

The way it works now, an entity has one creature assigned to it, and only the chosen creature is considered a citizen of the entity and only citizens can do labors. 

Now, supposedly, goblins have domesticated trolls and trolls can learn skills because they have [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN].  I once managed to reclaim a generated fortress that fell to an invasion in Furry Fortress, where the vulps were living side by side with goblins, humans and equids.  The non-vulps could not be assigned labors, but some of them already had skills with the relevant labors enabled.  The LNP's auto-labor thing might allow the non-citizens to try out labors on their own, but I didn't try it. 

So you can try giving [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN] to cats and see what happens, but whatever it is, it's probably going to feel buggy. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:07:33 am »

The only labor pets can do is FISHING. Just give them a NATURAL_SKILL:FISHING:1 and that's it. Make sure they can equip and have grasp-bodyparts.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SorenCool12

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I had a demon pretending to be a god and they wrot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 09:25:05 pm »

Thanks Guys,  especially AceSV, will try that out :D,  and vjmdhzgr, anything is possible with code, i could make a different game out of dwarf fortress, I have meph to testify for that, (althoooooogh MasterWork doesn't work in wine which gives me sad face), i saw somebody make golems a playable CIV just by copying the dwarves learn and reading skills, he made thier own learning rates and everything, pretty dang awesome really
I had a demon pretending to be a god and they wrote books. The books were just about themselves, what an ego.

elves 'grow' items on the tree into the correct shape
and then gently clip them off. Only they know how to do it, and it's the only way to make things out of wood without hurting the tree.

I assume the Elves think other races are just callous when they cut down trees that would happily just grow the crap they need.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 10:20:52 pm »

I just figured out from messing up a token in my game that you also need hands to do labors.  So you would need to mod the body parts for cats. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.