Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too Many Idlers  (Read 1312 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Too Many Idlers
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:24:03 pm »

I have more than enough jobs to carry out (hauling, smelting, construction), Dwarves with the relevant labours enabled, and yet 26 out of 55 dwarves have no job. How is this to be solved?

I can post screenshots if necessary.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too Many Idlers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:14:50 pm »

Are your dwarves able to path to these jobs (locked doors etc)? Have you done anything with burrows?

Are there specific jobs that aren't in the [J]ob manager that aren't getting done or specific dwarves that aren't working?

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:02:50 pm »

I was just in a similar position because I started building a bunch of cage traps without the cages to load them with.  I was getting a lot of cage not available spam and my idlers refused to do other jobs until the cage traps were filled. Once I got enough cages it took care of itself.  Did you do something similar recently?  Maybe not necessarily with cage traps but anything where they couldn't complete another task?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:32:49 pm »

Start a militia. Even if you rely on mechanical defenses it's always handy to have 10-20 weaponlords you can send in to clean up stragglers.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:08:02 pm »

Defiantly check that the jobs you're looking to have completed are actually possible. A large section of floor may need to have some of the floor constructed prior to the rest of the floor being completed. Smelting jobs that don't have fuel or metal available to smelt. Stock pile jobs that have wheelbarrows assigned to them won't have anyone hall to it with out a wheelbarrow.

Additionally new migrants will typically chill out for a while before deciding to do jobs for the first time.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 10:05:20 pm »

Its probably wheelbarrows if stone is involved.  You can only assign 3 wheelbarrows per stockpile (by default), so a 100x100 stone stockpile with wheelbarrows enabled can only accommodate 3 haulers at a time.  Obviously, you can't have more smelting jobs than there are smelters and fuel available, so you could consider building more of those and expanding your fuel capacity.  Particularly if you have to use charcoal, you'll want at least 3 wood burners for every 2 jobs that use fuel.  Otherwise, if your wood burner goes on break before your weaponsmith, you'll get cancellation spam.  Or maybe you ran out of logs... either way that extra buffer is nice.  You can always scale back if you notice you have a large excess of coal. 

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:42:28 am »

The problem seems to have resolved itself, but I had already checked most of the things suggested. Also, it was across many different jobs, meaning that it could not have been a single bottleneck.
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:28 am »

It's still pretty awful, to be honest.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 01:50:04 pm »

I find it odd... that you are smelting both bismuthinite ore and cassiterite, but then have 4 people making (normal) bronze from ores.  The bismuth bronze needs normal copper bars smelted too (1:1:2 ratio, bars only).  Bismuth can't normally be used for anything other than the alloy (and strange moods), so just seems off.  Is no one smelting just copper and no one else combining them into the bismuth bronze?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 05:35:34 am »

I couldn't be bothered to look up what needs to be bars & what needs to be ore in order to smelt bismuth bronze, so I just set stuff on repeat and hoped it would work. Also, I had copper everywhere so it would not be a bottleneck.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:56:09 am »

It can only be made from bars.  It needs bismuth/tin/copper in a 1:1:2 ratio.  While its equal to bronze in terms of strength, it requires half the cassiterite.  You typically only make it if you have bismuth and copper, but lack tin and iron (higher quality metal).  Since you are running on an import (or just can't find much tin), you stretch it with the bismuth.  Otherwise the extra labor and fuel aren't worth the bother, especially since you are churning out standard bronze.  However... bismuth bronze is slightly more valuable than bronze.  Since you already have the bars smelted (tin, bismuth, copper), you might as well make up the bismuth bronze.  If nothing else they can be used to make mid-value furniture/statues around the fort.