Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perfectionist  (Read 869 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Perfectionist
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:16:10 pm »

A little backstory...
So, I was looking for another perfectionist among my younger dwarves to make him or her a potter. Sadly I could only find a dwarf with "tries to do things correctly each time", the last perfectionist I had in mind I made into a clothier. But that somehow lead me to looking up personality traits, and I thought how I had seen quite a few of the "most extreme" traits around, like for example a few extremly greedy dwarves, or one or two with extremly high imagination - but never had I seen one with extremly high perfectionism.
I continued my thought process, remembering that shortly ago my mayor died at the age of 165 and that a baby had been born as the population cap wasn't reached for that moment anymore. And I thought, wouldn't it be funny if that baby had this extremly high perfectionism trait?

She really has it.
I mean... that coincidence just blew my mind. Just... wow.
Sadly I have to wait 12 years (which will take forever considering 20-30 FPS) to find out how well she really does when performing jobs.

That brings me to my question though:
Does the perfectionist trait affect every jobs' product quality (for jobs that produce products which's quality relies on skill)?
I know for certain that it does make engravers create more masterworks, but would a blacksmith of any kind or a clothier (etc.) also produce higher quality products?
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perfectionist
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:59 pm »

Do the traits actually have any effect on crafting? Other than the obvious social ones (like Urist McOverlySensitive cancels hauling job because saw a dead goblin), I always thought they were more for flavor.

Wastes materials for example doesn't have any effect since job uses X and outputs Y and other than melting items everything is in whole numbers.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 04:55:08 pm »

As I said, I'm very sure that perfectionist does increase the quality of job products - at least for engravers. I had one perfectionist who would literally spam masterworks when engraving in an earlier fortress, while I had a second engraver with about the same skill level who was merely producing masterworks every now and then.

Then again, I don't feel like the "is a perfectionist"-engravers running around in this newest fortress are producing just as many masterworks as that other one was - might have to do with skill levels though, now I have 3 or 4 engravers, in the other fortress I had only 2 and more space to engrave. I'd hardly call this proper research in any way.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 04:56:27 pm »

Perfectionist dramatically increases the likelihood of getting 'good' results when making items with quality levels, and somewhat increases the time taken to complete tasks.  This is why all of my smiths are perfectionists.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 05:26:25 pm »

I had a perfectionist dwarf who was only professional- but produced masterworks about half the time.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.