Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible defense against vermin?  (Read 1557 times)

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible defense against vermin?
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:08:13 am »

so not only have food in barrels, have it walled in in its own room so dwarves only come to get food, not to get to point a to b, and if thats not enough, have a cat or 2 in the room

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible defense against vermin?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:39:42 pm »

I usually just use cats, but I think you're smart to put vermin out of view to reduce bad thoughts.  I'm going to adopt this idea.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:04:15 pm »

I too started making the food stores separate, behind a door with cats within and it seemed to help quite a bit.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 02:12:25 am »

Vermin will spawn anywhere; forget doors. Barrels and cats are your best bet. You can also trap and butcher the vermin, but since one cat does the work of five good trappers, I tend to go with the cats. Plus, now that they can geld the males to avoid catsplosion, my dwarves don't even have to run around stuffing kittens into cages anymore.

I put all my organic stockpiles (food, drink, plants, animal bits, etc.) in one general area and pasture two or three cats on it.

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 10:31:38 am »

This method doesn't stop vermin from spawning, but isn't it good just to use a room to limit exposure and negative thoughts when seeing vermin?

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »

This method doesn't stop vermin from spawning, but isn't it good just to use a room to limit exposure and negative thoughts when seeing vermin?

Exactly
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 01:52:40 pm »

Doors everywhere are just good practice in general, really.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 06:37:41 pm »

magma has a guarentee to kill anything that can be classified as vermin to your fort

like nobles or elves or cages full of cats

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:31:03 am »

Door can crush vermin, leaving a remain and some blood or ichor, while the door is stuck open, cf. the boatmurdered monarch butterfly.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 08:36:59 am »

Some biomes are buggier than others in my experience.  My last glacier fort would produce maybe 3 vermin remains per year.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 10:55:26 am »

My swarm of peregrine falcons seems to be an excellent defense against any kind of vermin. Watch out for fire snake remains though, while I never had anything on the same tile burn, I constantly had problems with smoking minecarts, and at one time a pale dwarf came running from my nether-cap refuse-incinerator minecart (filled with fire snakes remains). At that time I decided that just dumping them down the (magma) garbage dump-shaft was the better idea.

So, I don't know, but for me, having 5 or 6 peregrine falcons and 4 cats (can't butcher pets...but they can't reproduce at least) run around did the trick. The remains are put into a stockpile and from there into a minecart, which then dumps them onto a bridge which can be retracted to dump them into magma.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.