Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The saddest thing...  (Read 1403 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
The saddest thing...
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:30:23 pm »

I was looking through the cages with goblin and troll prisoners I dumped down to magma level, ready to be incinerated with all the other garbage I throw down there, when I noticed that one of them was empty.

There's a goblin corpse in there, covered in blood ... and tears.
Just a simple recruit, she died of infection after being stripped and thrown down there, having been part of an earlier siege some months ago probably.
Just imagining her crying in that hole, trapped in a cage, body parts of the dead around her, slowly dying of an infection from a wound of the fight she was in ...

Felt like the saddest thing I saw so far. Even though it was a goblin.

Oh well, back to testing how my pet-hydra does against a few dozen unarmed goblins!
Simply dumping them into magma got kinda boring...

So, anything sad happening in your fortress, besides the usual?
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: The saddest thing...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:53:54 pm »

Several years ago I was playing a Forlorn Realms fort, there had been a huge attack and there were quite few dwarves throwing tantrums.  I was going to ignore the surface and focus on getting things under control when I noticed a two year old dwarf standing outside amid the bodies of the slain dwarves, including his parents and sibling.  I knew that an attack was imminent (so many hostile, powerful creatures in FR) so I tried to open the drawbridge to rescue the child, the moment the bridge hit the ground a dwarf throwing a tantrum destroyed the bridge.  I immediately designated another bridge built, but before the first block was brought up a siege arrived, the child died almost immediately.  I abandoned the fort and deleted the save.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:40:13 pm »

You know orphaned babies die by default right
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 04:59:38 pm »

That is adventurer mode though, this, on the other hand is fortress mode: The Tale of Atir Cobaltthrows.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 02:45:35 am »

Not anymore:
Spoiler: The wiki (click to show/hide)

Someone even had a story of the outpost liaison giving birth and leaving the baby with the fort. It was still alive when she returned a year later.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 03:15:22 am »

Two year old, as in walks around, wears clothes, and get their own booze and food.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:45:20 pm »

I had a mistake in fort design result in me having to rebuild a bridge. That made me sad. It led to the pit where I threw live goblin prisoners. The pit was a jail for them to live in for all eternity about 50z under the earth. It was just a high enough drop to break their legs (so in case of a breach, they couldn't escape easily). I had to wait for a bridge to be built again before I could throw more goblins in.

Sometimes they are let out in order to be thrown to a wild animal in the dinner theatre.

There's a separate pit for elves. No-one deserves to be in a pit with elves, not even goblins.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:26:05 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:32:56 am »

A friend of mine started a fort not too long ago. He did what I usually do: start without anything but a pick (to simplify things). But he had no booze and his dwarves were dying of thirst, so he opened a route to the caverns. When the first FB showed up, he threw waves of untrained squads at it and it ate 10 dwarves, then another 10, then 20, then the last nine or ten he had left. The FB made its way into the upper fort and left behind an infant who wandered around through dozens of corpses for the next few months until my buddy abandoned the fort.

I kept imagining a tiny bearded infant crawling over bloody, mangled corpses in the near-darkness of the cavern with a smile on his face. I have no idea what his mental state actually was, but it seemed dwarfiest if he were smiling. :/
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:55:12 am »

This was in 34.11.

One of the largest sieges I'd ever seen had arrived. It seemed to be composed of the entire goblin civ, I saw even fishery workers and many civilians, all armed like soldiers. There were even goblin kids in the mix. The civ leader, an amethyst spider shaped into human form with a poisonous bite, was at the head, riding atop a jabberer. I was ready. This was one of my forts where everyone but the miners were in the military, and decently trained. 300 goblins, about 40 of each humans elves and dwarves, and even some kobolds, plus all their war beasts, and their demon civ leader, versus my fortress, including roughly 100 dogs and a lot of tamed cave crocodile pets, as well as a few dozen assorted war animals. I can take the- The elves have mobilized the full force of their lands against me?... Another bunch of elves, riding on unicorns... I can handle this... Another forgotten beast? But there was already three down there... D-did my champion just go into a mood?... He'll be back soon enou- he wants shells... And a bunch of babies are being born... Only to be thrown into the goblin meat grinder immediately while their mothers fight and die in the most pathetic manners possible, their fathers crushed under boot and now only fit for beak dog food... Worst of all: FPS 1.

I had to abandon that fort in mid siege, FPS death, as well as many undwarvenly deaths of my own dwarves... They were too much for me.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.