Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ensuring resource access.  (Read 1182 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Ensuring resource access.
« on: July 17, 2015, 03:00:29 am »

I want to make a megaproject, and I want to make sure I have access to steel and sand in a forest area.

What's the best way of going about this?

If I disable all cavern levels in worldgen, will that hinder me? I don't want them slowing the game down.

Ribbonfree

• Bay Watcher
  • we 【=◈︿◈=】 boys
    • View Profile
Re: Ensuring resource access.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 03:30:35 am »

Caverns provide water which you may need for farming if you don't have a river/aquifer/whatever, the possibility of some useful exotics like GCS, and allow you to move tree growing and harvesting underground. If you don't see an especial use for any of those things go ahead and get rid of the caverns. One thing to note, sand can possibly occur in the caverns even if you have none in the soil layer, which may be of use to you.

Sand and the reagents for steel production can all be imported if absolutely necessary. Just maximize the trading capacity of whatever your site does have and make requests from the liaison at a premium.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:55:08 am »

The most sensible and fair way to do this is with DFhack's prospector, listing out what you'd get if you were to embark. World gen tweaking to improve the odds is optional.

The unfair ways to do this would be to edit the raws: e.g. make any soil a 'sand'. Reactions can be modded to use other (or no) reagents to produce steel. For example, a reaction to turn vermin remains into steel bars.

If I disable all cavern levels in worldgen, will that hinder me?
You won't get any underground crop (i.e. plump helmets et al) - as in your world won't have those species exist at all. If you're fine with that, you can disable them all.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:26:42 am »

If you want to do it the good old fashioned way then make an adventurer and explore forested mountain areas until you find somewhere with iron ore and coal sticking right out of the ground.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:39:03 am »

If I disable all cavern levels in worldgen, will that hinder me?
You won't get any underground crop (i.e. plump helmets et al) - as in your world won't have those species exist at all. If you're fine with that, you can disable them all.
That depends, can dwarves embark with surface crops?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:21:21 am »

No.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 07:51:00 am »

That depends, can dwarves embark with surface crops?
You're embarking to a forested area. You should have no trouble at all foraging for your surface crop. So long as you micromanage to make sure everything is processed in good time on embark, you should be fine.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 12:46:33 pm »

If the project is the goal, there's a DFHack cheat that allows you to change a vein to any other vein (for instance, microcline to magnetite), and similarly any layer to another (for instance, diorite to marble, for flux).

If the biome has plants, an unskilled dwarf can easily gather 1-stacks of plants and become skilled enough to start pulling 2's and 3's in a season or two.