Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find Candy (Spoilers)  (Read 1100 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Can't find Candy (Spoilers)
« on: July 11, 2015, 10:46:35 am »

I've played about 4 fortresses and I have yet to find Adamantine. Am I just super unlucky with the spawns or am I missing something? I scour the levels for it yet I just can't seem to find it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:02:52 am by Kars »
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find Adamantine
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:57:05 am »

You might like to put a spoiler content warning to the subject and obfuscate the title a little. (Something like: Can't find Candy (Spoilers))
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:58:25 am »

Where do you look? It's usually very deep, like 3rd cavern layer or lower.  Also,  some people consider it a spoiler and will prefer you use the term candy instead.  I have never not had some when I've gotten down that far.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:58:51 am »

Well first things first, you're looking for it right above the lava sea right? Have you considered making openings into the lava sea to look through for adamantine? Anyway, I believe the wiki has a full statistical analysis of the chances of having adamantine on a map, and I believe if you have at least a 3x3 area you're guaranteed one adamantine spire. So how big are your embark spots? 2x3 does have a chnace of completely modding any adamantine.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:02:39 am »

You might like to put a spoiler content warning to the subject and obfuscate the title a little. (Something like: Can't find Candy (Spoilers))

Woops, fixed it

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find Candy (Spoilers)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 11:04:27 am »

I've gone down as far as I possibly could. I've went past the cavern layers and all, looked around magma, etc. I guess I'm just getting unlucky but my embarks are usually as big as I can make them. Maybe I should make a new world and try there. Could be that this one is glitched

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 11:06:59 am »

Adding spoilers, just in case.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 02:28:33 pm »

I've played a bunch of forts and never found it once, but that's usually because I start a new fort before too long. It's deep, and takes some commitment to find and gather.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »

If you can't find adamantine with regular methods, use DFHack, pause the game (so it does not confuse your dwarves "memory") and type the following command in the DFHack window :
reveal

Check around your 3rd cavern and the magma , you should find some adamantine (with only reveal , the hell isn't revealed so don't worry about triggering demon spawn and fps death)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once you're finished looking, type in the DFhack console the following command :
unreveal

To hide back everything that was hidden.
You can now unpause the game and get your dwarves to work.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:41:03 pm by Robsoie »

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 07:01:25 pm »

If you explore around the 3rd cavern layer a bit you'll probably find it too.  Usually at least a candy floor is exposed to help you find a spire.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 10:43:46 pm »

Thanks for all the help guys. I still haven't found any so I think I just got unlucky. I'll keep trying though

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 10:52:00 pm »

Thanks for all the help guys. I still haven't found any so I think I just got unlucky. I'll keep trying though
You said you make your embark sites as big as you can make them, how it is that?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 05:30:42 pm »

If the width and height of your embark are both at least 3, you're guaranteed to have at least one candy spire. Most of these are visible somewhere in the 3rd cavern level, but occasionally I've found one which isn't visible in the caverns at all. Breaching the magma sea can help to find the ones that are not visible in the caverns, since they will frequently be visible extending down through the magma. On extremely rare occasion, it might be possible to get one which is neither exposed to the magma sea nor the 3rd cavern. In that case, mapping the magma sea is still valuable, because it tells you where the spires aren't, and you can focus on the areas where there are solid pillars of stone all the way down to the bottom of the magma that might be hiding it. Note that I've never found one which wasn't exposed in either the 3rd cavern or the magma sea, but I have seen solid regions of stone large enough to hide one which extended all the way down through the magma sea.

So basically, reveal the entire 3rd cavern. If you still didn't find one, reveal the entire magma sea. If you still didn't find one, resort to exploratory mining in the places where stone goes all the way down through the magma. If your embark is at least 3 wide by at least 3 high, and you don't have any candy spires, either you're playing a game where candy has been removed or modded in some way, or something has gone wrong in your world generation and should probably be investigated as a bug.