Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrowing Forgotten Beasts?  (Read 1065 times)

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrowing Forgotten Beasts?
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:35:09 pm »

Hi everyone,

Recently, I was surprised to discover a forgotten beast sitting in the middle of my wood burning plant, right in the middle of what I thought to be a hermetically sealed fortress. A quick inspection revealed that the thing had gotten in there through a hole in the roof, from the cavern directly above. There was also a hole nearby through which the forgotten beast had managed to enter my "secure" water supply a little earlier. I do not recall making these holes. Obviously it could be a misdesignated channel, but for the five years that the fortress has existed (and endured several FB attacks from the same cavern), not a single other thing has come down through that hole, which makes me think it must be recent.

Very recent.

Now, for as long as that thing has been camping out in the cave, no dwarf has been in there. Could the beast have made these itself?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Burrowing Forgotten Beasts?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:36:56 pm »

No, that is impossible that it did it itself. One thing I can think of is it burnt a tree down, that might have done something. Otherwise, I can't tell you, but it can't burrow through soil or rock.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:47:18 pm »

Cut down a tree directly above an excavated section, and a hole will be left. This I discovered the hard way via goblins dropping into my farm.
This is a blank sig.

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »

Ho boy. That means I probably have multiple breaches. Excuse me while I pave the cavern with rock floors.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 06:55:43 am »

It's fun when you don't know this, and suddenly in the 'sealed' cavern you see dwarfs scurrying around... then you realize you are looking through the roof of the room below you  :D
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:09:41 am »

I had this holes in the ceiling, too. Sealed them with floors. But every now and then I got the message "something has collapsed on the surface" and the hole is there again :(

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 09:44:13 am »

I had this happen once, but thankfully the only thing that happened from it was letting me make an above ground farm without having to channel a skylight myself  :P

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 07:23:27 am »

Yeah, I discovered this the hard way as well. Now, I never build anything in the first layer underground, to give myself a full z-level between my fort and the treacherous trees.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".