Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress crashing  (Read 999 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Fortress crashing
« on: July 04, 2015, 08:45:01 pm »

I have a fortress save that will always crash a few minutes after loading. Is there any thing I can check for to see why?

I have DFHack installed, but the crash isn't from there because it crashes even without it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress crashing
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:16:15 pm »

While it can be something else, there's a very nasty known crash bug that is new to 40.24 (and didn't happened in previous 40.x) :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8719

It's possible that it's what is happening to your game, a tree is growing and intersect with a building somewhere on your map.
Maybe look around your map to see if there's a building that may be in the way of a tree growth.

I wonder if it's possible to open a 40.24 save in a previous 40.x and see if it does not crash there, it could confirm the bug is definitively the tree crash

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 11:56:54 pm »

It's not that, because I have no constructions or other buildings near any trees anywhere. Except one sapling in my loom, but there's no room for it to grow, and killing it changes nothing.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 04:52:39 am »

Are you using Minecarts?

I had one incident were I was using minecarts in my last fortress.
Though it was that every time I loaded and unpaused the game crashed IMMEDIATLY.
(Since I had only an older backup, I was determined to find out what caused the crash and traced it back to the minecarts.)

For some reason one of my hauling routes had its minecart somehow become "unassigned" or such.
I'd guess the dwarves still tried to use it or something and as soon as the game unpaused it caused the crash. I simply reassigned (the same) minecart to that route and the game ran fine again. (Should've made a backup of the crashing save, just to get a little bit more insight into what exactly had happened...)
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 05:16:18 am »

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10973

Here is my save at any rate. I'll send it to the toad.