Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gloria Victis - Early access MMORPG... worth it?  (Read 1652 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gloria Victis - Early access MMORPG... worth it?
« on: June 18, 2016, 07:28:48 pm »

Steam store page. Game home page.

This showed up in my queue today. It's a low-fantasy medieval MMORPG that recently hit Steam's Early Access. Screenshots and video looks quite amazing. Combat in the videos looked fairly close to Mount&Blade(thankfully not like Chivalry's helicopter knights). Seems there will be a very in-depth crafting system, plus tons of possible items. Also looks like there will be castle/town/house construction. Other features include open pvp, faction wars, dynamic weather, and limited "magic" apparently based on the game's various religions.

It seems that they're going with paid Early Access($20 right now, plus $10 for the soundtrack if wanted), and switching to free2play after main release - Early Access backers receive all the paid content.

Is this worth the $20 for Early Access? I've probably blown that much on worse things, after all.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: Gloria Victis - Early access MMORPG... worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 07:57:52 pm »

Had that game on my radar as well, I'm a sucker for games that let me stab peasants, doubly so if those peasants are players.

According to some friends who claim to have played it its kinda like Life Is Feudal, but slightly worse in everything but the combat.
The main reason I have not tried it out yet, so I'd like some new input, too.  :-\
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:32:28 pm »

Combat seems cool. Ranged combat has projectile fall, there's localized damaged differences (so headshots do more damage and etc). PVP seems to be mostly open unless you're in a specific quest thing and there's local quest things ala guild wars 2, also, character customization seems to be purely skill based, so no predefined classes and all that stuff.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:54:53 am »

Hmm, was going to go for it right away, but it looks like they're having severe problems with their servers - game is so good that so many people are getting into it that they cannot handle it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 06:08:49 am »

Well, went ahead and bought it.
Impression after 4 hours is that my friends were talking out of their collective asses, it feels nothing like LiF.

I like the crafting al lot. Many different steps and intermediate materials you have to produce to get even something like a short sword. Getting your hands on your first self made leather armor feels like a real achievement, which is great.
Ranged combat is awesome. With the travel time and projectile arc hitting something at any meaningful range takes practice. Damage is also rather low unless you score a headshot, so this feels like something worth to master.
Melee combat is currently meh. It is lacking in feedback. I stood there swinging my short sword at a bandit, constantly dealing no damage and I have no idea why.

Have not seen much PvP yet, the only time I fought players was me and some other dudes standing on a wall and trading arrows with some bums down below. Then some guys all from the same guild and wearing in full plate and polearms chased them away. Was a lot of fun, especially with the ranged mechanics of the game.

Biggest annoyance so far is the render distance, even when cranked to max. There is constantly stuff popping in and out of existence on my screen.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 03:07:30 pm »

Bought it, played it for a couple hours. Took me nearly an hour to log in. Still fairly fun, and I want see where this goes.